Railroad Forums 

• CRHS 2012 Excursion Plans

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#907676  by rswinnerton

Good morning guys!
I wanted to let people on here know that a route has been selected for the 2012 excursion. Although it's not set in stone, here is the plan we are working on. We plan to leave Philadelphia and travel to Harrisburg. At Harrisburg, the train will travel north on NS's Buffalo Line to Lock Haven, PA where we will turn onto the Nittany and Bald Eagle RR to Tyrone, PA, then the final jaunt over NS to Altoona, PA. We are expecting a 4 +/- hour layover in Altoona, with access to the Railroaders Memorial Museum and a boxed lunch served there. Once back on the train, we plan to head over Horseshoe Curve, turn on the loop at Gallitzin, and head back to Harrisburg ( and Philly) via the NS Pittsburgh line. The planned makeup of the train is all Amfleet (no commuter cars) with the PVs "Warrior Ridge", "Kitchi Gammi Club", and "Little Juniata Rapids". (Bennett's 120 will bring up the markers). We are also working with Steve Sandberg of MILW 216 fame to add their Milwaukee Road SuperDome to the train. (Tickets will also be available on the dome from the midwest to Philadelphia) We also plan to talk to Amtrak about adding their full length dome to the train as a "Premium Coach Class" car (More expensive, but no 1st class service) Also, Bennett's E8s are once again requested to pull the train along with an Amtrak diesel for HEP.

Planned improvements over the "Conrail Express"are:

-NO COMMUTER EQUIPMENT! - This should eliminate about 90% of the problems we had on the Express

-Assigned seats in PV cars, especially the swivel seats in the Warrior Ridge. This was a point of contention amongst a few people in that car

-Wine / Cheese / Microbrew taste testing in the First Class cars (Pending approval from the PA Liquor Control Board)

-4 Hour layover in Altoona. This should allow for people to get out and stretch their legs. Also, lunch will be served at the Museum, eliminating the confusion of distributing lunches.

-Hot catered meals for 1st Class riders for dinner.

-Stops in Harrisburg & Philly to accommodate riders from both cities

-Inclusion of trip book in ticket price & pre-order of tshirts

We plan to have pricing ready for the 'Black Friday' and 'Cyber Monday' shopping days, and all throughout the Christmas season, with the trip occuring in June of 2012. Folks who rode the Conrail Express will receive mailed order forms and will have 'first crack' at reserving seats.

Please note that the above is not set in stone and may change slightly. I'll keep everyone here updated if something changes or anyone has any questions.
Thanks!
Russ Swinnerton
CRHS President
 #907748  by JimBoylan

It's beginning to sound like a 2 day trip.
Will the Reading's Old Main Line and Lebanon Valley branch be used for their higher clearances? Or will the domes be on and off at Harrisburg?
Amtrak's Great Dome has snack bar facilities downstairs. Even if the refrigeration hasn't been maintained, the counter might be used for dry snack and souvenir sales. Amtrak has been know to sell cold beverages out of ice chests in emergencies.
 #908322  by rswinnerton

Jim,
We plan to leave out of 30th street, just like before an with the domes. According to a source, we can fit the cars in one platform there and they will be ok under wire as the NS dome 'Delaware' ( ex CR 55) has traveled under the wire before and these domes are shorter than that car by 6". If for some reason we can't, they will be added at Harrisburg.

Also the trip will be one (long) day, not two. We plan to leave Philly at about 0400 and return by 2230. It makes for a long day, but it'll be a fun.

Russ
 #908639  by JimBoylan

I have ridden ConRail's big dome in and out of the Easternmost track at 30th St. Once was a circle trip via Reading, Harrisburg, Rockville, Harrisburg, Perryville, and the Shellpot branch (to avoid low wire near Wilmington passenger station). At least twice, Amtrak has brought Superliners to 30th St. for travel agents' conventions, but I have only seen them outdoors at the North end of that station track. Apparently access was via an Amfleet car at the North end of the platform and a transition car just North of it. I'm not sure of overhead clearances on the PRR Main Line
 #908814  by ExCon90

Back in the 80's, I think it was, the UP office car train successfully reached Track 1 at 30th St. from the west on some AAR function.
 #909439  by gprimr1

For someone who is not familiar with all the railroads of PA, could you confirm what parts of the trip are currently freight only? (IE Rare Mileage)

I'm seeing:

NS Buffalo Line

Nittaney and Bald Eagle RR

Anymore? I know the NS Harrisburg line is covered by the Pennsylvanian.

Will the restrooms be available? And more curiously, will the AC outlets be turned on? :)

I think this sounds like a good deal. I hope to be a part of it.
 #910877  by rswinnerton

Greg, you're spot on on the freight only parts the Buffalo Line and the Nittany are freight only.
If your AC power is off, let your car host know and they can get me to turn them on, and yes, all cars will be equipped with bathrooms.

Thanks!
Russ
 #913332  by jgallaway81

gprimr1 wrote:For someone who is not familiar with all the railroads of PA, could you confirm what parts of the trip are currently freight only? (IE Rare Mileage)
...Anymore? I know the NS Harrisburg line is covered by the Pennsylvanian....
I presume you mean the Pittsburgh Line. Unless something has changed, the Harrisburg line, which is ex-RDG to Reading, and then down and around to Philli via King of Prussia. From CP-Paxton in Harrisburg to CP-Falls? east of KoP is all freight only.

However, the Pittsburgh line, CP-Harrisburg to "West Pitt" at the west end of the Pittsburgh station IS Amtrak serviced.
 #914341  by GP30 5513

Sounds like a great trip! I had planned to ride The Express in '09, but the fiancee came down with pneumonia 3 days prior.
 #916719  by rswinnerton

Budd Man,
Price has not been set yet. We will be working with Amtrak over the summer and should have pricing late summer/ early fall. The projected dates are one of the middle two weekends in June, 2012 so we can take advantage of the most daylight possible. I'll keep everyone here updated as things progress.
Russ