Railroad Forums 

• MA9 MUs

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#860988  by Ken S.

Were these the remaining at the time MP54 cars? I found the designation in an old Conrail book I picked up from a guy who sells old RR books and stuff.
 #861331  by green_elite_cab

which book is this?

I'm not really familiar with "MA9"s, and i think you misread something.

Most of the MU cars that are of the modern varieties are all MA-1(insert letter here).

For example, The MA-1A is the Arrow I (1968), the MA-1B are Silverliner IIs (1963), the MA-1Cs are Silverliner IIIs (1968), MA-1Ds are Pioneer III cars(1958), the MA-1Es are Single Silverliner IVs(1974), MA-1Fs are Married Pair Silverliner IVs(1975), MA-1Gs are Arrow IIs(1975), MA-1Fs are Single Arrow IIIs(1975), and the MA-1H are married pair Arrow IIIs(1976-79).

the MP54s will all retired by the end of 1980, and by that time, it was just a handful of them on assignments like the Princeton Dinky.
 #861333  by Ken S.

Conrail Electrical Operating Instructions dated 6/1/1978.
 #870365  by Ken S.

The Railroad Press ran a story in the current issue about the Philly Commuter Operation. MA9 is accoridng to that article, a PC label given to the MP54s.
 #873669  by 3rd out nuthin comin

If MA9 was a Penn Central term (¿class?) for the MP-54's, it was not widely used or communicated.

I was the general car foreman at Powelton Avenue (the MU servicing yard just west of 30th Street Station) until nearly the end of Penn Central and MA9 was not a term that I ever heard or saw, either in conversation or written form.

I had moved west prior to conveyance, so I will not dispute that MA9 may have been a Conrail term, but I think it unlikely in PC times, based only on my experience.

Regards,
J T Roberts