• Conrail River Line in 1978

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

by erielackawanna

Back to scanning and pulled the following three images of early Conrail out to share (all taken in October of 1978 along the West Shore - as my dad always called it).

First we have a shabbily repainted Conrail SD35 leading an unidentified freight through downtown Teaneck.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=328243

Next, a former Reading GP35 takes the RUSE-0 through Haworth, and passed the abandoned platform.

http://freericks.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... id=2104097

Finally, in an image I think I shared an earlier scan of, but rescanned to better results, a TV16a races through Dumont, north of CP13 behind some brand-spanking new GP40-2s.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=328245

Thanks for looking, and corrections are welcome.

Charles Freericks
  by Noel Weaver

MY GOODNESS!!!!
RUSE-0 on October 21, 1978 I was the engineer on that train that day from Oak Island to Kingston where we swapped with
SERU-1.
The engines in this fine picture were 3636, 1914 and 2747. We were on duty at 7:45 AM and swapped at Kingston at 3:15 PM
finally passed CP-7 (Bogota) at 6:15 PM and relieved at Karny 7:45 PM. A 12 hour trip but apparently not too bad.
Actually during the month of October, 1978 I was working a regular passenger job out of Grand Central Terminal on the New
Haven Line but I had weekends off much of the time. This trip occurred on a Saturday which was a day that I was not
scheduled to work. During that fall I worked Penn Station - New Haven, GCT to New Haven, Stamford and New Canaan,
New Jersey - Selkirk and ran GG-1's, E-60's, all classes of freight locomotives, M-2's and Sperry Rail Car. All of this while I
was a regular engineer on a commuter job on the New Haven Line. All over the railroad they had a shortage of engineers at
various times and it was a golden opportunity to make bucks.
Noel Weaver
  by mainetrain

Charles,
Fantastic as always. I saw that RUSE as I pulled into Dumont that day! Any more?
Looking back I had 2 problems. I didn't take good pictures and I didn't take notes!
Bob B
  by erielackawanna

Thanks, Bobby... Believe me, I had a lot more bad ones than good ones back then.

Noel, did I actually not respond to your post? I find that hard to believe, because I remember it and remember thinking, WOW. Well, sorry if this is a repeat, but thanks so much for both the information and the reporting on the amazing coincidence.
  by erielackawanna

Oh, according to my records, that RUSE-0 had a DIT NW2m, Conrail 9190.
  by erielackawanna

Cool... can it really be that long ago?
  by Noel Weaver

erielackawanna wrote:Oh, according to my records, that RUSE-0 had a DIT NW2m, Conrail 9190.
I don't have a hard card record for that far back, only my timebook. I have all of my timebooks back to day one firing in 1960. My timebook did not show a record of a DIT engine but then it wouldn't because timebooks were for pay purposes and usually I did not post events in them. Sometimes if something really big happened, I would write up a note or save the hard card record.
During the ten years that I ran Selkirk - Buffalo I did save my hard cards and still have them.
Noel Weaver
  by erielackawanna

Were you NYC in 1960?

My father was PRR then. He left the railroad, right about 1960 though (after a whopping three year long career with them).
  by scharnhorst

its these old photos that can be vary inspiring for modeling ideas. thanks for posting
  by Noel Weaver

erielackawanna wrote:Were you NYC in 1960?

My father was PRR then. He left the railroad, right about 1960 though (after a whopping three year long career with them).
I hired out on the New Haven Railroad in the mechanical department in 1956 and went in to engine service in January, 1960.
Noel Weaver
  by erielackawanna

He started with the PRR in 1957 in some kind of training program (he was a civil engineer). But he was out in Ohio the whole time he worked for them.
  by mainetrain

My guess is this a RUSE.

by erielackawanna

Nice shot, BB.