Railroad Forums 

• "Spirit of the Conrailer"

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#723353  by lvrr325

FWIW, that truck was also sold as a Ford product, basically with a different grille and some other details.

Of course with the offending post and my quote of same removed, the above no longer makes any sense.
Last edited by lvrr325 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #725507  by ChessiePeakNip&Tuck

The "Spirit of the Conrailer" shows it proud dedication for all to see. This was done for the "Conrail" employees past and present. The truck is a dedication to all of Conrail.
 #725508  by ChessiePeakNip&Tuck

The tailgate shows "We Support our Troops" for all to see.
 #735768  by Conrail Cleveland East

Thnx ChessiePeakNip&Tuck for the dedication and tailgate photos.There's no plans to change the current paint scheme.Roadster mentioned back in 07 about doing the OCS paint scheme.That was thought about but changed because of the 10th anniversary split date.We wanted to honor Conrail and the employees of Conrail this way.The Conrail Historical Society(which me and my girlfriend are members of)was the only organization,to my knowledge honoring the anniversary.This truck, unlike the other one that we did back in 07, only took 6 months of planning.The ROV3091(Rail Observer Vehicle)was numberd for CR 3091(the 1st CR unit to be painted at Collinwood).As like the 07 truck,the front plate was Conrails beginning.The side logos are the Conrail Quality years.And the rear plate is the split.I've been asked to paint it up for EL,NYC,PRR,GN,Chessie,GTW,PC,BNSF/H3,and even NS.It's our way to say "thank you"Conrail and Conrailers.Without your service and dedication,the words "Conrail Quality"would have no meaning.Thats why we named it "The Spirit of the Conrailer".Conrail was,and always will be-"The better way to run a Railroad".
 #746087  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

"conrail quality" was a 4 part training course,which lasted months. many employees did not even bother to attend them, even though we got paid our regular rate or what our job made that day. All the buffs think is was a just paint sceme............
 #747523  by Conrail Cleveland East

This guy is WAY TOO BUFFED UP! Here we have a guy who painted his Ford van in Delaware and Hudson's gray and blue.
Not buffed up.I'm far from a Railfan,Trainbuff,Foamer,or whatever they're called.I'm just an average guy that,with my girlfriend,wanted to honor Conrail and it's employees.Ten years,and not one organization(xcept the Conrail Historical Society to my knowledge)would honor Conrail.I won't get into the way i felt about the CR split.The West coast has been painting up vehicles for years.SP 1776,BNSF Railfan van, and CP RailVan.The East Coast-Chessie Volkswagon,RDG van,and PRR van.And yes,i heard about the DH painted van.Didn't the late Ron Crowd(BKRR)have NYC stripes put on his van? We on the East Coast are proud of our Conrail.That's why i joined the CRHS.Conrail will never die with these great group of people...
 #747548  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

The conrail spirit lives in the employees that worked on it, and to those now on the NS portion. The CRS is a great group but ,the true spirit of a given railroad is not focused on in a typical historical society simply because MOST members are buffs not actual employees. The end result is more attention going to equipment,photos ect,and the group itself as whole.If you want to honor the Conrail spirit try getting members to interview ACTUAL employees of said company. You will find the interest among society members just is not there to go and do this. Sad to say, so much for the "spirit"............. Just my 2 cents after spending almost 10 years on CR as a freight conductor.
 #747799  by conrail6055

I'm not sure I understand your views regarding the Conrail spirit, RDGTRANSMUSEUM. You may not have been interviewed yourself, but that doesn't mean the CRHS "doesn't honor the Conrail spirit". Truth be told, an overwhelming majority of our membership are former employees and those that are "buffs" have continued to do their part to focus on the people of Conrail, and not just the equipment. Our organization has a very real grasp on the fact that Conrail people are the focus of our cause. It is the men and women like yourself that made our railroad what it became, not the equipment. From one ex-Con to another, I encourage you to spend some time with the CRHS family, you might be surprised to see where our focus is because the Conrail Historical Society is not your typical historical society :wink:

~Kris