Railroad Forums 

• Conrail 1984 meets the torch.....

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#647347  by GOLDEN-ARM

On 3/4/09, a crew showed up, to begin the scrapping of TXUX 1301, ex NS (PRR)4069 nee-CR 1984. On 3/5/09, the hood was removed, along with the prime mover, main generator, fan assembly and air compressor. By noon, on 3/6/09, all that remained were 8 rusty spots on the rails, from where this loco sat for the last year, or so. I have some "before & after" shots, of this loco. This is a real short look at the process. I have a bunch more, but I'm adding this, for a quick share. Another GEunker bites the dust..... :P (the frame was cut into sections, and hauled off, eliminating the possibility of "green-goating" it.)

#647460  by Noel Weaver

Back in September, 1981 I had this unit as a third engine behind an SD-35 and a U-23b on a River Line northbound train.
It was somewhat new at that time, how it aged since then. Seems to me that they could probably have removed some
decent parts from this unit, maybe not worth the labor, who knows. Looks like the prime mover might be headed
somewhere for more use or for parts.
Interesting pictures, thanks much for posting them.
Noel Weaver
 #647642  by GOLDEN-ARM

I know I have the 1984 in my timebooks as well. It was purchased by a locomotive parts dealer, from Houston, so actually, much of it will eventually find it's way, into other operations. Start to finish, these guys got about 16 hours, into dismantling the loco. Trucks & motors went as 1 load, prime mover another, cab another load and the fuel tank as another. The rest went as assorted stuff, on trailers. It was actually a clean affair. Having watched dozens and dozens of locos scrapped at Naparanos, it was actually suprising how clean these guys were. Aside from some floid that leaked from the fan assembly, there was no spillage of any kind, and when the loco was gone, there was no sign it had been cut up, on this spot.......
 #647836  by H.F.Malone

Hope someone glommed the horn....

Lots of parts in that old girl; sure would have liked a couple of hours with my toolbox and mini-torch :wink:
 #647866  by lvrr325

Surprising: The frame had no re-use value for a hybrid locomotive.

Not surprising: That it was probably easier for this buyer to cut it up on the spot and haul it back by truck, than to have it shipped there by rail and then cut it up.
 #649081  by GOLDEN-ARM

H.F.Malone wrote:Hope someone glommed the horn....

Lots of parts in that old girl; sure would have liked a couple of hours with my toolbox and mini-torch :wink:

They were there in the "before" shots, and gone during the "after". I plead the 5th...... :P
 #649203  by The Man

That is funny.. I just did a few deals with the company that cut that up. The photo of the prime mover on the trailer has a we dressed guy with a white hard hat. Well he owns the company that cuts those. I had the chance to visit his shop in Houston, TX and he will reuse about all the parts he pulled. I will have to tell him there is photo of him on the web. I think I am going to tell him it is a wanted poster.. Hehehe. BTW.. Is this B-23 have some meaning or just one of those "look what happend" deals?

JJ-
 #657381  by conrail71

Man, I'd love to be able to be present at one of these operations with a weeks pay in my pocket! I'd bet an "offer" to one of the guys with a torch could net me a souvenier... or two!

Mike
 #657916  by scharnhorst

I've seen a few prime movers heading West on semi trucks as well as RR Wheel sets on occation I wonder where they could be going? I these movements every couplue of months on weekends when the drivers stop at the rest areas along the RT90.
 #657928  by lvrr325

Entirely unrelated to this thread, but locomotive components including long hood assemblies have been going west down I-90 that I assume are coming from the Super Steel plant in Schenectady to go to EMD in London Ont. for assembly. If the parts are made at Super Steel or were brought in for assembly of locomotives that has since been terminated, I don't know.
 #657956  by scharnhorst

lvrr325 wrote:Entirely unrelated to this thread, but locomotive components including long hood assemblies have been going west down I-90 that I assume are coming from the Super Steel plant in Schenectady to go to EMD in London Ont. for assembly. If the parts are made at Super Steel or were brought in for assembly of locomotives that has since been terminated, I don't know.
Sorry. I thought that I would mention it as some of the prime moevers were well used looking like the one pictured above.