Railroad Forums 

• Conrail ACF Cement Hoppers

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#504448  by nssd70

What happened to the ACF 2 bay cement hoppers that Conrail had? I can't seem to find any info on their disposition. I have a model that Athearn did and I'm trying to find out if any made it to 2006.

Doug

#505148  by Flat-Wheeler

I am confused... I don't know of any Athearn 2-bay cement hoppers. Perhaps something brand new released this month ?

MDC/Roundhouse made some of the older P-S style for many years, and McKean made some of the more modern 2 -bay ACF cement cars. But Conrail was not a roadname they initially introduced these as.

As for the MDC/Roundhouse style covered hoppers, I do believe that most were converted into open hoppers for MOW ballast train service. Where they went after this is anybody's guess.

#505162  by nssd70

They were released last year they are ACF 2970(I Think) 2 bay covered hoppers. Thet aren't the old Roundhouse 2 bay.

Doug
 #601378  by scharnhorst

nssd70 wrote:What happened to the ACF 2 bay cement hoppers that Conrail had? I can't seem to find any info on their disposition. I have a model that Athearn did and I'm trying to find out if any made it to 2006.

Doug
I have seen these cars in H.O. Scale from Athearn both in Gray and in Dark Red I beleve there are 3 or 4 road numbers of each car.

Any how I can rember seeing the real cars where I live being used to ship in Sand to a near by bottle plant they mostley poped up in the Winter mounths then disapear only to be replaced with the small 2 Bay Pullmans along with Cars from WNFR. Fast forwared to today All I see in Winchester & Western Railroad and Norfolk & Western ACF 2-Bay Hoppers.
 #601423  by lvrr325

I remember seeing those cars a few times. What data is on them as far as build date?

The older two-bay cars that became ballast hoppers are still around here and there, the MA&N in Utica has a few and the Finger Lakes has a pair of them; because they're nonrevenue cars they're exempt from the 40-year rule and a lot of them even still have the kit-converted (to roller bearing) friction bearing trucks.
 #632800  by scharnhorst

lvrr325 wrote:I remember seeing those cars a few times. What data is on them as far as build date?

The older two-bay cars that became ballast hoppers are still around here and there, the MA&N in Utica has a few and the Finger Lakes has a pair of them; because they're nonrevenue cars they're exempt from the 40-year rule and a lot of them even still have the kit-converted (to roller bearing) friction bearing trucks.

FGLK now has between 12 or 14 of these cars.
Last edited by scharnhorst on Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #633182  by lvrr325

Windows Live Local shots showed several of them parked on the original lead off the Lehigh Valley interchange at the time of those photos.