Railroad Forums 

• Conrail Symbols

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#468628  by erielackawanna

Anyone know what RU was, as in SERU? I saw this sb at Haworth, but have seen pics of it in Bethlehem on the web.

#468651  by LCJ

RU = Rutherford, the Reading Co. switching yard near Harrisburg, PA (now an NS Triple Crown terminal).

#468652  by erielackawanna

LCJ wrote:RU = Rutherford, the Reading Co. switching yard near Harrisburg, PA (now an NS Triple Crown terminal).
Thanks so much. Your post arrived just as I was tracing the route I knew about (Selkirk to Bethelehem) and figuring that the next logical location for that train to go was Harrisburg... but I completely forgot about Rutherford Yard.

Do you know, would an SERU have had anything to do with Bethelehem Steel in Harrisburg? Or was it more likely just a general manifest?

#468661  by LCJ

I can't say. I would guess that the traffic carried on this train (the Rutherford block, anyway) was made up of cars headed to industries local to Rutherford (served by Rutherford). That might have included stuff for Bethlehem at Steelton. I'm not sure what they would have received via that route, though, except maybe scrap.

#468883  by Noel Weaver

Seems to me that it was not only stuff going to the Harrisburg area but
also freight headed for the Hagerstown gateway. I think the job also
worked at Allentown.
Noel Weaver

#468927  by LCJ

Seems to me that it was not only stuff going to the Harrisburg area but
also freight headed for the Hagerstown gateway.
That could very well be true. After Rutherford closed, I believe the SEEN was instituted (Selkirk to Enola). Enola took over what Rutherford had switched, and ran a daily train to WM (Western Maryland/Hagerstown) in those days. Of course, we're talking about CSX at that point, although in Enola we stayed with the old names for blocks we made there.

Selkirk didn't make a Hagerstown block at that time -- but some of the cars that ran in the Rutherford block probably went to the Hagerstown gateway from Rutherford (as they did later on from Enola).

The SERU probably did work at Allentown -- but I have no documentation to prove it.

#469574  by gravelyfan

Charles,

An extensive collection of Conrail Freight Schedule Books going back to 1976 is available on the following site:

http://www.multimodalways.org/archives/rrs/CR/CR.html

Click on "Freight Schedules" and then look for a date near to your photos. These are big .pdf files, so be prepared.

Have fun.

#469705  by LCJ

I stand corrected, in light of the old freight schedules posted here (Thanks for that, by the way. What a treasure trove!). SEEN/ENSE were running prior to the closing of Rutherford. And SERU did indeed pick up/set off at Allentown (dropping Allentowns and grabbing Rutherfords made at Allentown).

#474625  by erielackawanna

gravelyfan wrote:Charles,

An extensive collection of Conrail Freight Schedule Books going back to 1976 is available on the following site:

http://www.multimodalways.org/archives/rrs/CR/CR.html

Click on "Freight Schedules" and then look for a date near to your photos. These are big .pdf files, so be prepared.

Have fun.
This is great. Thanks so much.