Railroad Forums 

• The Salad Bowl Express

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#306267  by Rockingham Racer

In another forum there's a discussion about hauling produce. I once saw a PBS documentary on the Salad Bowl Express which--if I rememer correctly--ran on Conrail as the NPSE, and at Selkirk, it got split: some went to Hunts Point Ave. in the Bronx [on SEOP?], and some went east on the B&A. Is that job still running? UP still runs lots of reefers, and they have a "perishable" designation on those trains [eg. QFRNPP]. Just wondering. It was coast-to-coast service. It might have been early in the run-through power arrangement, too.

#357305  by Angus202

I've got a national geographic VHS that details this train from start to end, cool flick. There's a cab-ride segment in the Bronx were I think local kids are chucking rocks at the locomotive as it heads for the yard. Sorry I cant offer any info on it's present day status.
-Ryan

#357310  by charlie6017

Didn't Conrail's "BRSE" handle some of that traffic?

#357376  by Rockingham Racer

BRSE could've handled it, I suppose. But it seems to me I remember that this train was a hot one, with quick crew changes at North Platte, and at the Belt in Chicago [and at other places, of course] However, I think since it was a run-through from the UP, it was an NPSE job.

#361236  by RSD15

the conrail symbol was PXSE perishable express - selkirk

#361633  by Rockingham Racer

RSD15 wrote:the conrail symbol was PXSE perishable express - selkirk
Thank you; I remember hearing that one on the scanner.

#361640  by pennsy

Hi All,

Yup, that show was on PBS some time ago. And I had the foresight to program the VCR to tape it. It is now in my library of Videotapes.