Railroad Forums 

• Southern Tier Line Industries

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#298607  by rrfoose

Does anyone know a way to get a list of industries along the Southern Tier? I'm really only looking for those between Hornell and Binghamton, but any information will be appreciated!

Chase Z.

#298681  by ANDY117

As of now, in Binghamton there's Frito-Lay, and American Pipe out in Kirkwood. Out in Vestal there's a power plant and National Pipe. In Owego there's a grain elevator, and a small interchange yard with the O-H.

In Waverly, there's a grain elevator, and the ice house. Maybe Scottychaos or Tom H. Can fill in the missing links between Waverly and Horseheads.
 #299385  by Matt Langworthy

Some industries in/near Elmira and Corning in the early '80s:

1. Thatcher Glass in Elmira Heights. (I rode the switch job in '95!)

2. American La France (now defunct manufacturer of fire trucks)

3. ABB Traction in Elmira Heights (has changed ownership many times)

4. Riverside Lumber

5. Dresser Rand in Painted Post

6. Holding Point

7. Hickling Power Station just east of Corning.

8. GE(?) in Elmira Heights

There were/are other industries but I don't remember the names. Lehighgreg runs on NS so maybe he can help fill in the details.

#299467  by nessman

In Silver Springs you have the R&S Interchange and Morton Salt (which may be an R&S customer - not sure).

Hornell you have Alstom.

Not really much else between Buffalo and Hornell except for an industry in Attica, a grain dealer in Castile, a scrap metal dealer in Depew.

#300192  by scottychaos

Right now, I believe there are only two industries served by rail in Waverly.

International Stock Foods.
on Broad st, near Spalding st.
gets covered hoppers..grain?

Hagen Pet Foods.
In the former Kasco Mill out on broad st extension.
also recieves and ships via covered hoppers.

Two industries that recieved and shipped by rail in the 80's but no longer do:
Leprino foods
Viking Inc.

Leprino is still in buisness..just no longer using rail.

Viking is gone, was on the same spur as International Foods, and recieved and shipped one tank car at a time..some kind of chemicals..never did find out what exactly.

by the way..Chase Z., what era are you referring to?
you didnt say..
this thread is in the Conrail forum, and Conrail no longer operates in the Southern Tier..

Scot

#300230  by rrfoose

scottychaos wrote:Right now, I believe there are only two industries served by rail in Waverly.

International Stock Foods.
on Broad st, near Spalding st.
gets covered hoppers..grain?

Hagen Pet Foods.
In the former Kasco Mill out on broad st extension.
also recieves and ships via covered hoppers.

Two industries that recieved and shipped by rail in the 80's but no longer do:
Leprino foods
Viking Inc.

Leprino is still in buisness..just no longer using rail.

Viking is gone, was on the same spur as International Foods, and recieved and shipped one tank car at a time..some kind of chemicals..never did find out what exactly.

by the way..Chase Z., what era are you referring to?
you didnt say..
this thread is in the Conrail forum, and Conrail no longer operates in the Southern Tier..

Scot
I'm not looking for a certain time frame in particular - just trying to get an idea of what sort of online industries there are for the layout I'm designing (which will depict the Tier today, but still under EL control - and yes, I know the EL still wouldn't be around if it hadn't been included in Conrail, but it's always fun to dream). I suppose this question could have been asked in the NS forum, but I still think of it as Conrail...

Thanks for the information from everyone so far!