Railroad Forums 

• Conrail GP-10s.

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#352745  by lvrr325

A few GP10s floated around Dewitt in the mid-90s, and one was a backup in Geneva for a while when one local ran out of there - I missed by a day them using it to go to Canandaigua because of a derailment in Auburn which tied up the normal B23-7. Occasionally they had a heavy enough train to go east that two units were needed, or they had to double the hill east of Cayuga Lake.

A couple even got Conrail Quailty paint jobs. But they were all dumped in the 567-purge about 1996, traded in on new units.

#352849  by scharnhorst

lvrr325 wrote:A few GP10s floated around Dewitt in the mid-90s, and one was a backup in Geneva for a while when one local ran out of there - I missed by a day them using it to go to Canandaigua because of a derailment in Auburn which tied up the normal B23-7. Occasionally they had a heavy enough train to go east that two units were needed, or they had to double the hill east of Cayuga Lake.

A couple even got Conrail Quailty paint jobs. But they were all dumped in the 567-purge about 1996, traded in on new units.
I don't rember the GP10's or GP11's if any came into Auburn but can rember there being 1 if not 2 SW units assigned to Auburn in the early to mid 80's befor Conrail left the line to rot. When the Auburn unit(s) left there post This was the sign that industrys were closeing up shop and lead to many of the tracks in the Auburn yard to be pulled up and the plans to run welded rail from Solavy to Geneva ended at Martisco Station. Many of the tracks that made up the Auburn Yard are still gone out side of the pallet track which was put back in by finger lakes.

#352856  by scottychaos

Using this GP10 roster:
http://crcyc.railfan.net/locos/emd/gp10/gp10rost.html

combined with the PRR/NYC/PC Survivors page:
http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychao ... /index.htm

We can find the following GP10 survivors:

NYC 5972 - EMD GP9 - Buckingham Branch Railroad Co. GP10 #752

NYC 5922 - EMD GP9 - Ohio Central GP10 7547

NYC 6043 - EMD GP9 - SRNJ GP-10 #102

NYC 6041 - EMD GP9 - PRSX GP10 7551

NYC 5996 - EMD GP9 - E&N RailAmerica 1001 (GP-10)

NYC 5997 - EMD GP9 - Penn Eastern Rail Lines GP10 #54

PRR 7210 - EMD GP9 - Maywood Co-op Association 7515 - North Platte,NE

PRR 7005 - EMD GP9 - Gettysburg Railway 107 (GP10)

PRR 7068 - EMD GP9 - Penn Eastern Rail Lines GP10 2202

PRR 7056 - EMD GP9 - Alleghany Valley Railroad GP10 1801

PRR 7057 - EMD GP9 - Alleghany Valley Railroad GP10 1802

PRR 7121 - EMD GP9 - Raritan Central GP10 7559 (NJ)

PRR 7128 - EMD GP9 - Rail Tours Inc GP10

PRR 7230 - EMD GP9 - Patabsco & Back Rivers Railway GP10 #7250

PRR 7244 - EMD GP9 - Ohio Central 7585

PRR 7253 - EMD GP9 - Kiamichi RR GP10 1006

PRR 7254 - EMD GP9 - Ohio Central 7591

PRR 7258 - EMD GP9 - Ohio Central 7594

PRR 7261 - EMD GP9 - Louisville & Indiana (GP10) 202

PRR 7268 - EMD GP9 - Kiamichi RR GP10 1005 - Hugo, OK

So thats 20 known surviving GP10's out of 80 built,
so thats 25% surviving, sounds about right!

im sure there are a few more still out there undiscovered!
actually, it looks like this thread has already discovered a few I dont have on the NYC-PRR-PC survivors list!
I will add them..

Scot

#353133  by Nova55

L&I 202 was scrapped, but 201 still sits at Gershow Recycling, waiting to be scrapped...

#353763  by lvrr325

scharnhorst wrote:
I don't rember the GP10's or GP11's if any came into Auburn but can rember there being 1 if not 2 SW units assigned to Auburn in the early to mid 80's befor Conrail left the line to rot. When the Auburn unit(s) left there post This was the sign that industrys were closeing up shop and lead to many of the tracks in the Auburn yard to be pulled up and the plans to run welded rail from Solavy to Geneva ended at Martisco Station. Many of the tracks that made up the Auburn Yard are still gone out side of the pallet track which was put back in by finger lakes.

I'm sure they did occasionally. There was some sort of labor disagreement that made Conrail management take Auburn away from the Dewitt terminal and give it to Rochester. It was worked from Lyons and Geneva after that. Around 1992 there were two locals (WAGY-11, WAGY-12) working Geneva, one working to Auburn M-W-F and Canandaigua Tu-Th, one working to Lyons and on the mainline as needed. The second one was added that year, the first couple months the caboose was still painted for an assignment in PA, then someone painted it out - in black - Power was almost always B23s or GP38s, the GP10 (7517, ex-PRR, with dynamic blister, if I remember right) was a real surprise. In talking to the crew they said it had been added as a backup and so it could be used when they had a heavy train for Auburn. Prior to this I'd seen them run light from Auburn west and found out they were doubling the hill.

The only 10's I saw were on one trip to Buffalo to see N&S 611, there were several with slugs and a few light units working Frontier, the 7525(?) that showed up to Dewitt (an ex-C&O/NYC Canada unit with a flat hood), and the 7517.

At least one GP8 is ex-DL&W and still in use (5408?) -
-------------

Just to update, by 1993 one rail was unbolted and moved aside about 2 miles east of Auburn, at a grade crossing who's name escapes me at the moment. From here to Camillus it was out of service; Estlinbaum Lumber occasionally got a car (that switch got moved up to Martisco recently) but that was it. One day for no real reason a crew went out just about to the end of in-service track and I got some photos of it.

Finger Lakes has since run stuff as big as SD60's past Martisco a few times without a problem. For that matter, a Conrail crew ran CSX six-axles on one of the last military trains I saw go to Seneca, down the old LV - through some miracle they kept it on the rail on the connecting track.

So I'm not sure what the restriction could be all about.
Last edited by lvrr325 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

#353827  by scharnhorst

lvrr325 wrote:
scharnhorst wrote:
I don't remember the GP10's or GP11's if any came into Auburn but can remember there being 1 if not 2 SW units assigned to Auburn in the early to mid 80's before Conrail left the line to rot. When the Auburn unit(s) left there post This was the sign that industry's were closing up shop and lead to many of the tracks in the Auburn yard to be pulled up and the plans to run welded rail from Solvay to Geneva ended at Martisco Station. Many of the tracks that made up the Auburn Yard are still gone out side of the pallet track which was put back in by finger lakes.

I'm sure they did occasionally. There was some sort of labor disagreement that made Conrail management take Auburn away from the Dewitt terminal and give it to Rochester. It was worked from Lyons and Geneva after that. Around 1992 there were two locals working Geneva, one working to Auburn M-W-F and Canandaigua Tu-Th, one working to Lyons and on the mainline as needed. Power was almost always B23s or GP38s, the GP10 (7517, ex-PRR, with dynamic blister, if I remember right) was a real surprise. In talking to the crew they said it had been added as a backup and so it could be used when they had a heavy train for Auburn. Prior to this I'd seen them run light from Auburn west and found out they were doubling the hill.

The only 10's I saw were on one trip to Buffalo to see N&S 611, there were several with slugs and a few light units working Frontier, the 7525(?) that showed up to Dewitt (an ex-C&O/NYC Canada unit with a flat hood), and the 7517.

I remember the B23-7's being in Auburn all the time. The Conrail Rule Book's had a ruling forbidding GP38's from running passed Geneva to Martisco Station which was still listed in the books till the line was sold. Everything from possible starting tractive effort, to wheel spread has been thought up for this reason but I have yet to find this answer in the book. I'll have to find a time table covering the line to find a possable answer. This is more than likely where the GP10 came into play. When Conrail did make its runs into Auburn it was 3 days a week like you seaid when it arrved it was mid day around 4- 5p.m. and would leave some time around 8p.m. heading back to Geneva I do recall seeing a transfer Caboose with a flashing light on it some times it was an Orange light outher times it was an Amber color.

#353830  by scharnhorst

lvrr325 wrote:
scharnhorst wrote:
I don't remember the GP10's or GP11's if any came into Auburn but can remember there being 1 if not 2 SW units assigned to Auburn in the early to mid 80's before Conrail left the line to rot. When the Auburn unit(s) left there post This was the sign that industry's were closing up shop and lead to many of the tracks in the Auburn yard to be pulled up and the plans to run welded rail from Solvay to Geneva ended at Martisco Station. Many of the tracks that made up the Auburn Yard are still gone out side of the pallet track which was put back in by finger lakes.

I'm sure they did occasionally. There was some sort of labor disagreement that made Conrail management take Auburn away from the Dewitt terminal and give it to Rochester. It was worked from Lyons and Geneva after that. Around 1992 there were two locals working Geneva, one working to Auburn M-W-F and Canandaigua Tu-Th, one working to Lyons and on the mainline as needed. Power was almost always B23s or GP38s, the GP10 (7517, ex-PRR, with dynamic blister, if I remember right) was a real surprise. In talking to the crew they said it had been added as a backup and so it could be used when they had a heavy train for Auburn. Prior to this I'd seen them run light from Auburn west and found out they were doubling the hill.

I remember the B23-7's being in Auburn all the time. The Conrail Rule Book's had a ruling forbidding GP38's from running passed Geneva to Martisco Station which was still listed in the books till the line was sold. Everything from possible starting tractive effort, to wheel spread has been thought up for this reason but I have yet to find this answer in the book. I'll have to find a time table covering the line to find a possable answer. This is more than likely where the GP10 came into play. When Conrail did make its runs into Auburn it was 3 days a week like you seaid when it arrved it was mid day around 4- 5p.m. and would leave some time around 8p.m. heading back to Geneva I do recall seeing a transfer Caboose with a flashing light on it some times it was an Orange light outher times it was an Amber color.

#353831  by scharnhorst

lvrr325 wrote:
scharnhorst wrote: