Railroad Forums 

• SD40-2R question

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#1370371  by Leo_Ames

Why did they acquire 10 used units to supplement the 30 of their own that they rebuilt, rather than just selecting 10 more of their own locomotives?

Looking at retirement dates for the non-rebuilt members of their SD40 fleet, over 75 members of it weren't retired until the 2-3 years after this rebuilding program started. So they certainly had 10 more operable SD40's on hand already on their roster. What would be the reason to not select from their own power?

Were they at one point expecting perhaps to rebuild many more SD40's in such a manner, necessitating supplementing their own power with second hand purchases? Or was there some attractive attribute to these former KCS SD40's from PAC Rail, like recently overhauled 16-645's for one possibility, that made them an attractive deal to acquire in lieu of the cost of fully rebuilding 10 more locomotives from their own fleet?
 #1370435  by Matt Langworthy

Conrail's SD40 fleet probably suffered from deferred maintenance (prior to C-Day), which meant additional repairs and rehab to get them up to SD40-2R standards. KCS was in decent shape during the '70s, so I'm guessing their SD40s were easier and cheaper to upgrade than former PC/PRR or ex-CNJ units.
 #1370575  by Leo_Ames

I think I just found my answer thanks to a notation at Altoonaworks.com for this rebuilding program.

"Financed by PAC Rail and leased back to Conrail"

PAC Rail of course was the source of these 10 ex KCS locomotives. So apparently as part of this rebuilding program, Conrail sold PAC Rail 30 of their SD40's to finance their rebuilding program, with PAC including 10 of their own locomotives as part of the transaction.

So it looks to have been driven purely by financial considerations rather than being a reflection on the condition of Conrail's fleet or a sign that they perhaps planned to turn out so many more SD40-2R's that they had to go to outside sources for additional rebuild cores.