Railroad Forums 

• Conrail Locomotive Data Books

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#1355376  by KLCS

I am aware that Conrail's Mechanical Department issued Locomotive Data books (there are a couple on George Elwood's Fallen Flags site under the Conrail section) and the books essentially describe the roster at that time with model designation, road numbers, number of units in service, horsepower, tractive effort, gearing, fuel capacity, and other features.

I was wondering how often were these books issued? Yearly? Were they issued from 1976 all the way to 1999?

I was also trying to acquire a few copies of these books for myself. Were there a lot of copies in circulation? Would they be easy to find at train shows or on EBAY?

Thanks in advance for any information.
 #1356296  by the trainguy

Yes ,they were issued yearly.
During my tenure (1976-1989) with Conrail's mechanical dept. I particularly cherished the early ones depicting the few Baldwins and other rare units that didn't make it past the first few editions.

Bob
 #1368168  by Flat-Wheeler

I have a few from the early 1990's laying around in a storage unit or 2. It's been awhile, but I think I have 2 or 3 different years. One of the years I ended up with 2 copies. I bet there's alot still out there, but alot of''em I'm sure have been tossed or lost. What can you do with them after you've thumbed through them a few dozen times ? They're only good now for reference, by only train nuts and historians. But I have to agree, the earlier ones have got to be more interesting, with all the obscure 1st generation engines by Baldwin and Alco, most of which never made it to Conrail blue attire.
 #1378032  by KLCS

Thank you all for the information!

If anyone has any they would like to unload or spares they don't need, I'm interested in obtaining some. Please PM me if interested.

Kyle