Railroad Forums 

• Form D verbage

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#1279155  by train2

I am hoping some employees can answer this: I recently started operating on Share Assets and I have been exposed to the form D for train moment. I seem to get the proper way to cancel them wrong. I understand you can BOTH cancel and fulfill a form D.

Is it correct terminology: to fuffill a ONE WAY form D such as "line 2 operate between A and B?" And is it correct you cancel a work in both directions between A & B?

If you answer this please at least tell me if you are an employee that deals with this, or a fan that listens on the radio?

My employer gave me a good bit of training but this particular detail was not covered. On my RR we do not use form D so I don't have a ready made supervisor to ask for clarification.
 #1279185  by amtrakhogger

Fulfilling and Canceling a Form D is pretty much as you describe. Canceling a Form D applies to Line 2 both directions, Line 4 out of service, temporary speed restrictions (that get removed prior to a train's arrival at that location,) or for any reason at the dispatchers discretion, etc. Fulfilling a Form D would be Line 2 A to B, complying with speed restrictions, protecting grade crossings,or Line 13 information (miscellaneous information, which may include operating information) etc.
 #1283429  by terms-d

amtrakhogger is correct. When it comes to conveying authority on a main track, a specified (single) direction Line 2 is fulfilled. Everything else, whether it's a Both Directions Line 2, Out of Service Line 4, or various situations where DCS rules don't apply (such as Rule 137 'Assisting An Attended Disabled Train' or Rule 139 'Train or Car[s] Left Standing Without Crew on Main Track or Controlled Siding') would be cancelled.

I am an employee, although I do not work with Shared Assets. If you want my credentials, just shoot me a PM.