Railroad Forums 

• Lehigh Line double track

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#1214580  by CPSK

Hi;
Can anyone tell me how far west from CP NK the Lehigh Line is double track?
I can see clearly on Google Earth that it is double as far west as the curve juse east of Bound Brook, but then GE maps become very poor and I can no longer see the track clearly.

And while on the Conrail forum, does anyone know where the HBD/DED with callout "Newark" is located? I hear it all the time on the CR channel from my home in Teaneck NJ (on my Yaesu VX-150 with a Ringo Ranger on the roof).

Thanks for any info

FW
 #1214603  by CPSK

Well, looks like I have figured this out. Watching some YouTube vids of the Bound Brook station it is clear that the double track goes at least to there. But how far west does it go?
 #1214986  by CPSK

charlie6017 wrote:I believe the line becomes single track right around Port Reading Jct (Manville?)

Charlie
Thanks.
I am getting better GE images farther west, and see double track on both sides of the tunnel, but of course the tunnel itself is single track.

FW
 #1214993  by charlie6017

That's right........I believe it was around 1995 that Conrail single-tracked through the tunnel to
accommodate double-stack containers. Prior to that, it was a main-track with a passing siding
through the tunnel.

Charlie
 #1215036  by CPSK

charlie6017 wrote:That's right........I believe it was around 1995 that Conrail single-tracked through the tunnel to
accommodate double-stack containers. Prior to that, it was a main-track with a passing siding
through the tunnel.

Charlie
Yea; That was CR's big "raise the roof, and lower the track" project. From what I know, in some tunnels, both procedures were done to increase clearance.
 #1239123  by train2

NS is very shortly about to extend true double track a few miles west (or south) of Port Reading. A track called the Royesford (SP?) runner is, as I type this, being upgraded to either a main and a siding configuration or two main tracks. As a result a number, about 3 sets of searchlights will be removed. The new signals are already standing.

I am told the name of the new interlocking will be named for an employee and is not geographic. Listen for a new interlocking that starts with the letter "S."
 #1239265  by TAMR213

train2 wrote:NS is very shortly about to extend true double track a few miles west (or south) of Port Reading. A track called the Royesford (SP?) runner is, as I type this, being upgraded to either a main and a siding configuration or two main tracks. As a result a number, about 3 sets of searchlights will be removed. The new signals are already standing.

I am told the name of the new interlocking will be named for an employee and is not geographic. Listen for a new interlocking that starts with the letter "S."
Just to add on to this and correct some things:

The track being upgraded is known simply as the "Royce Runner" (named after Roycefield Road in Hillsborough NJ). I believe it is being upgraded to two mains (but I could be wrong) - I say this due to the fact that it was already used in similar fashion to a siding. In addition to the signal upgrades, the formerly hand thrown switch on the west end is being upgraded to a dispatcher controlled interlocking as stated.