Railroad Forums 

• JIM ARTON

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#1198041  by shlustig

FYI, Jim Arton, longtime NYC/PC/CR supervisor at Dewitt, Selkirk, and several other locations, died on 7/3.

He had retired in 1994 from the Central Region.
 #1198145  by Noel Weaver

I don't recall this individual. Do you happen to know his years in Selkirk. Mine are 1974-1982 and 1987-1997.
Thanks,
Noel Weaver
 #1198223  by shlustig

Noel,

IIRC, Jim was at SK in the early 1980's. He may have followed Vic Terziu.
 #1198308  by twropr

I believe Jim had been terminal supt. in Dewitt during the early and mid '80's.

Andy
 #1436629  by NYCRRconrail

Noel, what position did you have at Selkirk? I worked there August of 1976 to April of 1978 as Trainmaster - pullout end (the famous "505" telephone number) and then assistant terminal superintendent before getting transferred to New Haven.
 #1437487  by BR&P

shlustig wrote:Noel,

IIRC, Jim was at SK in the early 1980's. He may have followed Vic Terziu.
Now THERE is a name I had long forgotten!
 #1441304  by Wayside

I remember Jim Arton from his time in Selkirk.
 #1441316  by Noel Weaver

Sorry, I did not intend to delay this one, I worked various freight jobs on the River Line between very early 1974 and mid 1982. It was not constant, I bounced back and forth between passenger jobs on the New Haven out of New York and freight jobs out of North Jersey to Selkirk for about 8 years until mid 1982. Came the dreaded decision time in 1982 nobody really knew what would happen with Conrail at that time nor with Amtrak as well so I chose to go to Metro-North and I stayed there through 1987 when I finally got so fed up with living in New York City that I took the "bull by the horns", gave up my seniority with Metro-North and returned to Conrail where I was on a L of A status since 1983. I also worked the Oak Point - Selkirk jobs via Danbury a few times but that was in the period probably between 1971 or 1972 and about 1975 or 1976. Lots of memories from both division, mostly very good too.
Noel Weaver
 #1441378  by Wayside

For a short spell (late 70s) I was the Conrail-supplied fireman on Amtrak 63/64 between Albany and Syracuse. Frank Budlong, who had most recently been a BLE VP, was the engineer during that brief episode between instances of my getting placed on the Selkirk engineer's extra list, as happened frequently at that time. Anyway, one day, Jim Arton got on in Albany and rode with us to Utica. He knew Frank, I believe, but didn't know me since I was just a lowly engineer/fireman who worked out of Selkirk. We had a pleasant conversation as we zipped up along the Mohawk. I'm pretty sure he was Terminal Supt in Selkirk at that time.