Railroad Forums 

• The DL&W cut-off

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#6079  by rushhour

When was the exact date the cut-off was abandoned? I have been hearing so many dates I'm starting to get confused.

#6631  by David

rushhour--The last train to run over the Cut-Off was an Amtrak inspection train on November 13th 1979.--In 1982 Conrail went through the proceedure to officially abandon the line. After that, a track removal train took up the track in 1985. More information about the Cut-Off is found on the New Jersey Railfan Forum.
Last edited by David on Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#6645  by rushhour

Thank you. I'll check that forum out and see what I can dig up.

Take care

#8598  by BlockLine_4111

There's also a great article in an old Block Line magazine about the track removal train in 1985.

#197516  by njt4172

I just wanna clarify some exact dates for everyone...

Yes, the very last revenue train was the Amtrak one that David mentioned in 1979....The very last train to travel over the Cutoff however was the salvage/rail wrecker that took up the rails and spikes throughout the summer of 1984....I'm pretty sure by 1985 most if not all the rails and spikes had already been pulled...

Also, the Cutoff was taken out of service as a through freight route in January of 1979. That special Amtrak train that ran in November had to back up over the wye to access the Cutoff as the switch was removed from the mainline on January 10, 1979.....

Steve