Railroad Forums 

• CP RAIL FP7 #4070

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#828639  by .missthealcos.

Oh, sorry, I didn't see this. Honestly? alot is memory..I'm nuts. like most railfans..endless amounts of "useless" trivia..CP F-units just happen to be high on that list of trivia. The Trackside guide however, is your best source of info on Canadian equipment though.
 #835683  by craftsmaster

Don wrote:Elwood's site has shots of 4071 & 4068 taken in 72'. Don't think 4070 would be any different other than the #.
Don
They're made no difference.
 #1040091  by CP-4070

Is there any information where QC 1300 (ex 4070) is located today? I would like to find it.

Cheers, Andrew
 #1184595  by regroup entertainment

I am curious also. Silver Streak is in the initial stages of a modern reboot and I'd personally like to go see the original locomotive for inspiration before it's too late.

Thanks so much!
J Ryan
 #1198768  by march hare

Here she is in commuter service at Dorval on a crystal clear cold day in Feb 1978. Hope this works, I've had mixed luck with uploading photos.
 #1249940  by tad10

CP-4070 wrote:Is there any information where QC 1300 (ex 4070) is located today? I would like to find it.

Cheers, Andrew
I emailed Musée Ferroviair​e de Beauce in Valle-Jonction, QC in December of last year and was informed that CP 4070 (QCR 1300) and CP 4072 (QCR 1302) are still sitting behind the Express Marco building in VJ but are both in pretty bad shape (CP 4070 is a shell and CP 4072 was used as a part source). CP 4075 (QCR 1305) was scrapped.

Unfortunately, from what I understand, CP 4070 and CP 4072 will soon be heading to the scrap pile. I tried to contact the owner at Express Marco to see how much it would cost for a restoration group to buy CP 4070 but there was no reply (in part, I think, because of language difficulties - I don't speak French and the owner doesn't speak much English). I hope to visit the town this year to get some pictures before CP 4070 is scrapped (well assuming that it hasn't been scrapped since that email -_-)

So if you want to see it, best to go sooner, rather than later.
 #1255178  by tad10

Latest News:

Had a phone call with one of the officers of Chemin de Fer Sartigan (new shortline running in VJ area on old QCR track) who was familiar with the situation. Bottomline is while It does seem like a scrapper may already have been contracted to scrap CP 4070 if there is sufficient interest from a restoration group they might be able to rescue the old girl. I'm happy to do the legwork (or rather phonework) but would need some suggestions of restoration groups to call - I don't know many outside of SoCal.

A big problem is getting CP 4070 out of Valle-Jonction - track has been washed out so has to be loaded onto a truck before it can be put on a flatcar and I had a very rough min quote of 40K from Ozark for costs in loading and moving it from East Broughton/Valle-Jonction, Quebec to "middle" of the US.

Still not looking good but she's not scrapped yet.
 #1261064  by sjprr3

Hi, I'm from Springfield, Illinois and my family and I are going to be traveling to Toronto sometime in August or September. Silver Streak is my ALL-TIME favorite movie. I made HO scale models of the 4070, (4067 still needs to be painted), baggage, a coach, and the observation car for a little mini display in my train room. I would be really interested in trying to find the old F unit on our trip up there. The only problem is when I try to google earth some of the locations from the posts I don't see it...is there someone out there that could give me a good, acurate location of where its sitting? I realize it might me cut up by the time I get there, but I would love to see it. Thanks!
 #1261190  by Ken V

It took a bit of searching but this looks like the place:
https://www.google.ca/maps?q=East+Broug ... uebec&z=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.google.ca/maps?q=East+Broug ... 93,,3,1.76" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only 500 miles from Toronto by road.
https://www.google.ca/maps?saddr=Toront ... ra=luc&z=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1261241  by CP-4070

Thanks for all the information since my last post.

Comming form Germany, it would be hard to support any rescue with my personal help but it would be a shame to send the reason for my railway-enthusiasm to scrap.

Are there any suggestions, what further steps can be done?
Would a announcement in Trains Magazine be a good idea?
A round-mail to museums?
donations, lottery, rich train-buffs?

There must be a chance to get this thing preserved.

In the pictures, it looks like somebody already has taken the number boards.

Cheers from Germany, Andreas
 #1261242  by CP-4070

tad10 wrote:
CP-4070 wrote:Is there any information where QC 1300 (ex 4070) is located today? I would like to find it.

Cheers, Andrew
I emailed Musée Ferroviair​e de Beauce in Valle-Jonction, QC in December of last year and was informed that CP 4070 (QCR 1300) and CP 4072 (QCR 1302) are still sitting behind the Express Marco building in VJ but are both in pretty bad shape (CP 4070 is a shell and CP 4072 was used as a part source). CP 4075 (QCR 1305) was scrapped.

Unfortunately, from what I understand, CP 4070 and CP 4072 will soon be heading to the scrap pile. I tried to contact the owner at Express Marco to see how much it would cost for a restoration group to buy CP 4070 but there was no reply (in part, I think, because of language difficulties - I don't speak French and the owner doesn't speak much English). I hope to visit the town this year to get some pictures before CP 4070 is scrapped (well assuming that it hasn't been scrapped since that email -_-)

So if you want to see it, best to go sooner, rather than later.
My boss is french, so if you want me to translate some text, it shouldn't be a problem!

Andreas
 #1261496  by sjprr3

Thanks Ken, for the location info!!! Makes me kinda sad to see it like that...I don't know if I can convince my wife and kids to drive another 8 hours just to see a shell of a loco that isn't even painted in the CP colors....and looks nothing like Amroad 4070...but for me, it would be GREAT! I could visualize what it would have looked like back in the day......thanks again!
 #1261683  by CP-4070

Hi sjprr3,

this would be a great opportunity to contact somebody involved into the history of the loco to get any news? :-D
Cheers, Andreas
 #1261907  by tad10

CP-4070 wrote:Thanks for all the information since my last post.

Comming form Germany, it would be hard to support any rescue with my personal help but it would be a shame to send the reason for my railway-enthusiasm to scrap.

Are there any suggestions, what further steps can be done?
Would a announcement in Trains Magazine be a good idea?
A round-mail to museums?
donations, lottery, rich train-buffs?

There must be a chance to get this thing preserved.

In the pictures, it looks like somebody already has taken the number boards.

Cheers from Germany, Andreas
Unfortunately I was informed by one of the officers of CdFS that M. Jean-Marc Giguere the owner of Express Marco passed away March 8th. I understand that his heirs are now looking to get rid of unwanted/unneeded items associated with the company. I will try to contact them today/next week to see what their plans are for CP4070/QCR1300 and whether there is some way to save her.

Best,

Trev