Railroad Forums 

• CP Paint Schemes

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#809501  by SooLineRob

SooLineRob wrote:
Canadian Pacific doesn't have any "heritage" units; any SOO/D&H/DM&E/IC&E units have simply kept their original paint/road number.
Thank you, Ken V, for your post! I stand very corrected! Contrary to past "official" declarations, I guess somebody changed their mind about doing a "heritage" paint scheme. Thanks again for your excellent post!

Maybe CPR can be convinced to do a ______________________ unit.
 #818041  by Tadman

Great finds on the StL&H. I remember seeing those units go past on the CSX(Pere Marquette) as a kid, when CP trains outnumbered CSX trains probably 4:1.
 #823299  by ENR3870

SooLineRob wrote:Canadian Pacific has quite the variety in paint schemes ... if you like red paint!

Newest: GEvos in solid red, with Canadian Pacific Railway spelled out on the long hood.

Common: GE AC44CW "Beavers", CP Rail, CP Rail System, red & white SOO, solid red SOO, blue and yellow DM&E/IC&E, red/white/black ex-CP DM&E/IC&E.

Few and far between: orange & black ex-MILW SOO, CP Rail with the "Pac Man" logo, Canadian Pacific Railway w/beaver on an EMD.
Don't forget the one and only CP 3005, in the patched E&N Railfreight green.
 #844981  by Engineer Spike

Only the D&H 7312 is a heritage unit. The other two units were painted in the early '90s, by CP. There were some others in that scheme too, such as the '09, '07, and possibly '12 . I believe that they were painted at the MK rebuild. These units, along with some of the 7400 class GP39-2 were done under bankruptsy. The 7307, and '12 were in rebuild at Ogden Shop when I hired out. The '09 may have been done just before. At that time, the '12 was designated as a heritage unit. The other two ccame home red.
 #846110  by signal189

One of my favorite, SD40-2 with the expressway logo. Dont know if it's still in service.

#846664  by CN Sparky

I've seen two different 97xx's in the past two weeks with odd decal jobs... they had the "Canadian Pacific" lettering spelled out in a single line on the carbody... no beaver.. and the paint looked like someone had taken off the old paint with a grinder, then rolled new paint over top the rough surface... close up, it looked awful!!
 #882966  by CN Sparky

CN Sparky wrote:I've seen two different 97xx's in the past two weeks with odd decal jobs... they had the "Canadian Pacific" lettering spelled out in a single line on the carbody... no beaver.. and the paint looked like someone had taken off the old paint with a grinder, then rolled new paint over top the rough surface... close up, it looked awful!!
Saw 'em both again.. CP 9727 and CP 9731.. what I've now figured out were two of the ex-Biodiesel test units. It seems they've just removed the biodiesel decals and left the rest the same. Up close, it's horrible workmanship!

A pic of what I'm talking about...but not one I took...

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2144516
 #1284185  by Jmusolf

mtuandrew wrote:Another paint scheme I've seen, but only rarely: white StL&H lettering on a red background, similar to the CP Rail System paintjob. I imagine only a few locomotives received this scheme, as the St. Lawrence and Hudson only operated for a few years before being returned to the CP fold.
Looks like a lot received this paint scheme. I knew about the SD40s but not the switchers and GP9's.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locolist.aspx?id=STLH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1557187  by Pensyfan19

Does anyone know when this locomotive was repainted into its classic grey and marron livery, or was it built in this paint scheme? (I would assume it was repainted into this scheme) The locomotive is currently sitting at NRE in Silvis IL, which is currently scrapping some of their locomotives. Does anyone know what 3084's fate is? Is the locomotive set to be stored, scrapped, or will it return to CP?
 #1557555  by Engineer Spike

I believe that 7307, 09, and 12 were rebuilt and repainted in the D&H scheme, along with a few 7400 class GP39-2 during a rebuild. This was done during bankruptcy. 03 and 04 were done by Ogden Shops shortly after CP. They had engraved plastic plates that said rebuilt by Ogden Shop.

About the time that I hired out in 2000, 09 and 07 were rebuilt. The 07 has an electronic governor. 12 came back just a while after I came. It was similar in specifications to the 07. It was the only one to have a decal about being a heritage locomotive.