Railroad Forums 

• Simplot Portage La Prairie Operations to US

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#1334928  by christopher1

Hello,
Noticed in the recent edition of Railfan and Railroad an article that indicated Simplot's Portage La Prairie plant was providing french fries to a distribution facility along NS near their new Greencastle, PA intermodal facility/yard. I know CP/NS also delivers modified cryotrans reefers to Martin Brower in Manassas, VA. Does anyone have any knowledge of this operation? Just wondering what routing/train symbols the cars take from Manitoba to Virginia/Pennsylvania.

Thanks,
Chris
 #1335130  by mtuandrew

christopher1 wrote:Hello,
Noticed in the recent edition of Railfan and Railroad an article that indicated Simplot's Portage La Prairie plant was providing french fries to a distribution facility along NS near their new Greencastle, PA intermodal facility/yard. I know CP/NS also delivers modified cryotrans reefers to Martin Brower in Manassas, VA. Does anyone have any knowledge of this operation? Just wondering what routing/train symbols the cars take from Manitoba to Virginia/Pennsylvania.

Thanks,
Chris
Can't say for certain. However, I'd guess it looks a lot like this:

Over CP, it's almost certainly Portage-la-Prairie -- Winnipeg -- Minneapolis -- Chicago. Handoff to NS via Indiana Harbor Belt. After that, it gets a bit fuzzy. NS probably opts for Chicago -- Bellevue -- Roanoke -- Greencastle or Manassas, but I suppose they could go Chicago -- Pittsburgh -- Harrisburg -- Greencastle if they wanted.