Railroad Forums 

• Remote Controlled Trains

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#80138  by The S.P. Caboose

I'm in the Los Angeles area and there has been a lot of talk about remote controlled trains. I've been hearing that the Canadian National uses remote control on it's trains. Is this true? Does it work out okay?

#80161  by trainmaster_1

CN has remote controlled locomotives but not remote control trains......its too risky to do that with freight trains because of what they carry and where they go through, remote control technology remains in the yard where yard crews use em and its easier for them but still poses a threat to nearby communities if a derailment happens because of the use of RCL (Remote Control Locomotives), both CN and CP are the biggest users of remote control technology and UP and BNSF are following behind and so as CSX and NS.

#80165  by The S.P. Caboose

Thanks for the info. In my area UP many years ago began the parent company of SP. One of the contract trains here is hazardous. It's better for yard duty the road.

Thank you for the help/answer.