Railroad Forums 

• Working for CN in your opinion

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#72992  by Pamster

Hello everyone!

*I placed this post in the "employment inquiry" forum but thought I would place it here as well since this board focuses directly on CN*

I am looking for any CN Conductors located in Toronto for advice and to give me an idea what to expect if I should become employed there.

I was offered an interview for a Conductor position out of the Toronto yard a month ago or so but turned it down as I do not live in Toronto and have to be within a 2 hour call out. It would take me that long to get there if I was already sitting in my car ready to go IF the weather and traffic was good.

They just put a class through, but the HR lady told me they hire for Toronto often as there is more of a need there. I am contemplating if the job is worth a move to Toronto, which is why I'm seeking advice from people who work for CN in that area. In your opinion, is the work too physically demanding for a female? Are you mainly on the road travelling with the train, or in the yards? I would rather be travelling with the train but from what I've heard, you could be doing either being on the spareboard. Is this correct? And speaking of the spareboard, I understand you are on call 24/7 365 days a year, so to say goodbye to your social life. What are the call outs like -- for instance, do they usually give you more than 2 hours notice? Are there many days off in between call outs? What happens if you don't get called out for days -- do you still get paid?

Anything you can tell me about your experience with this job would greatly be appreciated as it will help me with my decision to make a major change in my life.

Thanks to all who respond!

#73030  by AmtrakFan

Well if you work for VIA or Amtrak it won't ruin your social life as much. But if you love Trains I would do it and see how it is. Safety is key.

#73071  by trainmaster_1

Pamster wrote:I was offered an interview for a Conductor position out of the Toronto yard a month ago or so but turned it down as I do not live in Toronto and have to be within a 2 hour call out. It would take me that long to get there if I was already sitting in my car ready to go IF the weather and traffic was good.
You were offered position for conductor from CP but turned it down? hmmmmmm....... I went for my interview with CP on the 17th of last month but got rejection letter in the mail the week after..... too depressing for me but it was my passion to work on the railroad.
But anyways it depends on the route and how you will get there, if Toronto Yard was your closest bet to work then you could have gotten in but if you tried CN you would be positioned out of MacMillian Yard which is farther than CP's Toronto Yard.
Pamster wrote:In your opinion, is the work too physically demanding for a female? Are you mainly on the road travelling with the train, or in the yards? I would rather be travelling with the train but from what I've heard, you could be doing either being on the spareboard. Is this correct? And speaking of the spareboard, I understand you are on call 24/7 365 days a year, so to say goodbye to your social life. What are the call outs like -- for instance, do they usually give you more than 2 hours notice? Are there many days off in between call outs? What happens if you don't get called out for days -- do you still get paid?
It's a physically demanding job that you will have to do and its the same with every railroad you apply, but also you are in the yards first before you head out on the road, but it depends that may need you in the yard or in another location one day then your out on the road the day after. You are on the spareboard most of the time and you are on call 24/7 365 days a year, all the time. And about the social life, nah, you will have certain days where your on the road by yourself and the crew and other days where you'll be a home. From what I heard from CP if you don't work the 8 out of the 14 days you still get paid, from what I understood from the information session I went to for CP, I doubt its the same with CN.

#73108  by Pamster

Thanks for the info. Actually, it was CN, not CP. And it was an interview I turned down, not a position (because Toronto is too far from where I live so I thought I could hold out for a London position). I too was rejected by CP last summer. They gave out the rejection letters the day of orientation in London. London is where I'm closest to, so I had told the HR lady at CN I would hold out for a London position and she said she would hold my resume until such a time, but she also said the likelihood of any positions becoming available in London are next to nil and that the shortage is in the Toronto yard. The job opening she had called me for was for the yard at Keele and Hwy 7 on Toronto's north side.

AmtrakFan -- Are Canadians eligible to apply at Amtrak? I would love to work for a passenger train, but I was once told that you had to work for CN for a period of time before applying at VIA as VIA had taken their employees from CN (since they used to be affiliated). Maybe I'll check into that -- thanks for the suggestion.

#73206  by Dieter

My relatives working CN in Canada tell me they live in constant fear of being told they have to transfer to another part of Canada entirely, or separate from the company. It's not what it's cracked up to being anymore.

Dieter.
Last edited by Dieter on Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#73915  by MC8000

Good luck on finding a spot in London. But remember this: If you do happen to hire on in London and someone with more seniority somewhere else on the system decides they want to work London you will be bumped and will have to go where your seniority will hold you a spot on the extra board.
I don't want to discourage you, but things have changed on the railroad from what it once was, and it isn't the great place to work it used to be.
You also have to take into account that you will be working many times on 8 hours rest, and you must remain alert as the envirement you will be working in is extremely dangerous and unforgiving.

If you do get to an interview the interviewer will go over all of this if he is doing his job. Most of them are pretty honest about the working conditions.
There are many great things about the railroad you will like however, the best part is some of the great people you will get to work with. Good luck to you Pamster.

#74295  by mikec880

work for one railroad.. worked with them all.. its the same

#77034  by CN_Hogger

I don't think so. Been with the CN since August and I'll say that they're a lot more laid back than the BNSF. It seems that if you don't call in sick a lot and get the freight moved they pretty much leave you alone.
mikec880 wrote:work for one railroad.. worked with them all.. its the same

#77048  by SRS125

I always loved doing jobs for CN on and off for Sperry Rail Service. I loved working for them I hated doing jobs for CSX! I did enjoy working for some of the CN's compediters as well all of them were vary relaxed companys most of there emploees would go out of the way to provide dirctions, supplys, and I do recall a few of them even the CN Leting us barrow a company truck for a weekend so that we could buy food and do lawndry. I don't recall any U.S. Roads doing that for us.

#116096  by Engineer Spike

If I were you, I would ask someone about CN's seniority districts. If they are in the same district, I would hire out in Toronto. When you get the opportunity, bump into somewhere closer to where you live.
Live in a rooming house for a while. There have been people that I have worked with that have gotten cut off at home. They shared an appartment. When they were able, they bumped back home. You may meet someone at work in your situation. This would be an possible solution.

#116153  by AmtrakFan

Pamster wrote: AmtrakFan -- Are Canadians eligible to apply at Amtrak? I would love to work for a passenger train, but I was once told that you had to work for CN for a period of time before applying at VIA as VIA had taken their employees from CN (since they used to be affiliated). Maybe I'll check into that -- thanks for the suggestion.
I am not 100% sure.

#120357  by Clique of One

Since I'm coming up to my 35th year I feel that before Harrison took over it was a fairly decent place to work. Sure it had it's ups and downs but I never dreaded getting up in the morning to go to work as I do now. This is the only job I've ever had, but with only two years and just over a month to go, I'll be very happy to finally be away from this circus. I personally wouldn't recommend a job with CN, especially in Canada, until the present day mismanagement team have long departed. It'll be a long time before the CNR recuperates to a level where the public and shareholders actually find out about the true day to day operations on CN. :(

Signal Mechanic. Signal Department. Canadian National Railways.