Railroad Forums 

• Any IC passenger fans here?

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#877660  by Tadman

I love the IC passenger trains. The operation was really well presented. If you have some time, find "Limiteds Along the Lakefront" by Alan Lind. It's a great book about IC in Chicago and covers their passenger trains well. The Panama Limited doesn't get the glory of the Century or Super Chief, but appears to be every bit as nice of an operation. It was one of the last all-sleeper trains, even if you don't count the Magnolia Star debacle. When IC finally added coaches in the late 60's, they gave that section a separate name and operated one train with two names most days.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 576&nseq=7
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 296&nseq=0
 #877704  by frank754

Yes, and though I'm from the east, the IC did seem to have run an exceptional operation in it's heyday, as the "Main Line of Mid America". Good thing that Amtrak has kept the line alive. Besides that, it was the only line to have electrified commuter service in Chicago (besides the interurbans), and the only other remainder today is the NIMTD ex-South Shore line, which runs its trains into Millennium Station on separate platform areas. That new underground station is quite nice, reminiscent of a mini airline terminal with its concourse and shops. I was fortunate enough to be able to visit Chicago last January.
 #878107  by CarterB

Grew up in Tuscola, Il in the 1950's. Loved watching the Panama, Seminole, City of NO, City of Miami and Creole coming through town. IIRC the CofNO ran Champaign to Mattoon often at over 100mph, back in the 50's. Panama, CofNO and City of Miami were always spic and span consists. Semiole, Creole a mixed bag. City of Miami: different pool cars made for some interesting consists. Loved the colors of the old IC.
 #879538  by frank754

Back in the summer of '65, they had 4 daily runs from Chicago to the Big Easy, and coach fare was $28.89 one way.
The premium Panama Limited made the run leaving Chicago at 4:30PM and arriving in New Orleans at 9AM.
Here's a full scan to pdf of the April 25, 1965 schedule:

http://viewoftheblue.com/photography/ti ... C42565.pdf
 #879642  by CarterB

? for those of you in the know. Post WWII, what trains continued with heavyweight passenger cars? and what types? Was the CNO post war all lightweight?
 #880852  by CarterB

Back to the main subject, what IC trains past WWII (i.e. into the 1950s or later) still had heavyweight passenger cars, and what types?
 #881365  by Otto Vondrak

Tadman wrote:If you have some time, find "Limiteds Along the Lakefront" by Alan Lind. It's a great book about IC in Chicago and covers their passenger trains well.

Was going to suggest same book as a resource. It's a great snapshot of IC passenger operations, and goes into detail about the electric suburban trains, too.
 #881709  by Station Aficionado

Fred Frailey added a chapter on the IC when his Twilight of the Great Trains (Indiana U. Press) was reissued this year. It covers the last decade or so of IC passenger trains, concentrating on the development of the "mini-corridor" to Carbondale.
 #948310  by jaystreetcrr

I rode the Panama Limited in early 1964 when I was four years old and my family was moving from Chicago to Baton Rouge. We got off in Hammond, LA where a character named "Panama Penton" drove a shuttle (a big station wagon I think) to Baton Rouge. Even with nothing else to compare it to and after all this time I remember the service as very classy...full diner on china, sleeper, etc. I was already crazy about trains but that trip made me a railfan for life.
Sadly, the IC didn't run passenger service through Baton Rouge anymore and by the time I was old enough to go off on my own it was Amtrak. I always loved the IC and though my modeling interests are elsewhere and my space limited, on my dream layouts there are chocolate and orange streamliners. A first class operation to the end......John
 #954658  by bls

Concerning the lightweight and heavyweight cars, I cancars were referred to by some at the time, as "streamlin give my recollections from the early to mid 1960's. The lightweight ed", and the heavyweights simply as "old".

IC had mainline trains plus a couple that ran from Chicago to Council Bluffs IA. Also there was a branch from St. Louis that joined the main at Carbondale, where the cars were set out, and coupled into the mainline trains. There was also an overnight run that went from St. Louis to Memphis.

The Chicago to IA trains were The Land O' Corn and The Hawkeye. The Land O' Corn was the streamliner. I never saw or rode either of these trains, so I'm drawing strictly from my remembrance of timetables of the era. I don't recall the numbers or consist of the trains. The Land O' Corn was generally considered the equal to The City of New Orleans and The City of Miami prestige and service wise.

The Chicago-New Orleans trains were as follows:

No. 5-6 The Panama Limited, all Pullman no heavyweights, with an observation car.
No 1-2 The City of New Orleans, all coach no heavyweights, with an observation car
No. 3-4 The Louisiane, mostly heavyweight coaches, with a couple of Pullmans, maybe a few streamlined cars mixed in
No. 8 The Creole, primarily a mail and express train with a few heavyweight coaches, only ran northbound in the daytime
No. 25 The Southern Express, southbound equivalent of The Creole, but it ran on an overnight schedule.

Chicago-Miami

These trains left the main at Fulton KY, and traveled over IC tracks to Birmingham. At Birmingham, they continued through Georgia and Florida on The Central of Georgia, Atlantic Coast Line, and Florida East Coast. I don't recall where the transfer points were between each road.

No.52-53 The City of Miami, coach and pullman streamliner, with observation car. During the winter season, it would sometimes have dome cars. But I don't think the domes were an ongoing thing, and maybe were a short term experiment for a few years. I recall reading somewhere that they were leased from the either the GN or NP, and were repainted every summer when returned from the IC.

No. 10-11 The Seminole, primarily heavyweight coaches, with a couple of Pullman's. Moreless the Florida version of The Louisiane. I think it terminated at Jacksonville, but I'm not sure.

St. Louis-Memphis

No. 15-16 The Chickasaw, primarily heavyweight coaches, It also carried a Pullman or two, that would be set out and coupled into the southbound Panama Limited at Carbondale. The Chickasaw's and Panama's E's did the switching. There was no yard crew nor engine at Carbondale.

This is a snap shot of a young boy's memory in the 1960-65 timeframe. There could be things I've left out, or not remembered. I was quite a rail enthusiast in those years, as was my Father. I became a teenager, and lost interest in what happened in the years that followed leading up to Amtrak.
 #954662  by bls

I just remembered I omitted the two Chicago-St. Louis trains. The Green Diamond was the streamliner, and I believe the lesser one was called The Governors Express.