Railroad Forums 

• CN former WCL whitepine branch upper Michigan

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#948677  by mtuandrew

Deval wrote:They ran a track geometry car (CN 1501) over the White Pine Sub last week. Glad to see something has moved on it recently!
I was just up there over this weekend and was wondering when the last time something ran on that track. From Ironwood (at least) east, it looked like it hadn't been traveled for months, it was so rusty. Couldn't tell how rusty the rails were east of Ironwood, though.
 #948933  by Milwaukeeroad

Thanks for the info. Deval. Is that a car in which they take readings of track conditions and such? I bet the line is getting weedy? Has CN stopped spotting ore- gons and log cars on that branch then? I thought that was still taking place on a as needed basis?
 #1205593  by mtuandrew

Was up in the UP again this weekend. The line is very rusty, and has at least a year's worth of overgrowth through the ballast, from what I could see from M-28 and US 2. All the safety appliances still look functional, but at the very least the line needs a weed sprayer and a track gang. Oddly, CN doesn't have any cars stored on the line, unless they are further down toward the junction with the Ashland line. For that matter, I don't even know whether there are regular trains north of Mellen and the wood processing plant there.

For comparison, on the ELS Ontonagon line they had a whole string of hopper cars being stored for some uncertain future.

It wasn't that long ago that there were regular turns on both lines... a shame.
 #1213574  by jimnorthwood

Per the AAR a one year embargo was issued for the White Pine line effective August 9, 2012. The embargo was renewed on August 7, 2013 and will expire on August 7, 2014. Stations listed under the embargo are Saxon, WI; North Ironwood, MI; Thomaston, MI; Bergland, MI; White Pine, MI. Cause is listed as bridge out of service. Cause detail is listed as structural issue with bridge and unsafe track conditions.
 #1303145  by jimnorthwood

Notice of discontinuance filed for the White Pine Sub, to take effect January 2. There are a couple of proposed copper mine projects in the area which could result in future need for and use of the line, so CN stopped short of filing for outright abandonment. Actually the STB petitioner is listed as WC. http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf/ ... 237044.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;