Railroad Forums 

• Old No. 6060

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#52514  by Richard Y

I have a calendar, obtained from "Orchard Supply Hardward", here in San Jose, Calif. which depicts various old steam trains each month.
Sept's picture has Locomotive No 6060. I guess this was the last of the "U class" locomotives built for the CNR in 1944. The 6060 looks to be a beautiful old locomotive..with the nickname "Bullet Nosed Betty. It is green & black with yellow trim. The calendar picture shows it at a station in Brantford, Ont.
The calendar text mentions that it was on display at the Jasper, Alb, station for a while. Then it headed east to become a part of an excursion out of Toronto, Ont. Is it still part of a Toronto-based excursion, or is it back on display in Jasper? Anyone know?

#52517  by va3ori

Originally a coal burner converted to oil, 6060 did indeed run as an excursion engine for a number of years in the '70s and early '80s. I believe it has been almost 25 years since she was retired from CN excursion service, the last of a continuous line of CNR steam operated by CN since the demise of regular steam service in 1961.

6060 ran in regularly scheduled excursions during the summer of 1978 (possibly others, I forget for the moment) when it was operated between Toronto and Niagara Falls with a sidetrip to Yaegers. I worked safety crew on a large number of these trips and the sound of her whistle is etched in my memory.

I honestly do not remember the whole history of her life since then but I believe that she is no longer held by CN. She was in excursion service elsewhere but frankly, I don't recall the details. Perhaps someone with a better grip on 6060's history will come to the rescue!

cheers,
Ori
VA3ORI - VA3XW
 #52519  by Richard Y

Ori..your reply to my posting was nearly as fast as the old 6060!
Sounds like the locomotive has had an interesting history, both in and out of service.
Yes, sure would like to know where it is, today, if anyone can reply.

73's

Dick/ WA6ZFM

#52547  by missthealcos

After 6060 left CN excursion service, she was donated to the Province of Alberta, and kept in the Jasper roundhouse for many years. She was returned to Steam in 1986, and ran to Steam Expo in Vancouver(didn't make it in time) after being on Display at the Via station in Vancouver for a short time, she wound up in North Vancouver, at the BC Rail steam shop, to have the work not completed in Jasper dealt with. In 1988, she spent the better part of the Summer running on the Squamish excursion(the Royal Hudson Steam train) That was a great summer for steam, at taht time, the train ran 6 days a week, and you never had any idea what was going to pull the train on a given day...sometimes it would be 6060, then 6060 and CP 2-8-0 3716 together, then 3716 by itself, then CP 4-6-4 2860, then 2860 and one of the others. I don't recall if all 3 operated together, but I *think* they may have. 2860 had mechanical issues that year, and didn't run often...All of this 1/2 mile from my house!...If I wasn't out watching or riding, I would be identifying by whistle! At the end of the summer, a triangle mainline excursion using all 3 locomotives ran on CN to Jasper(6060/2860), then to Prince George(2860) then PG to NV on BCR (2860/3716) The excurison plans in Alberta for 6060 never came to pass, and she wound up stored all over the place for many years. 6060 operated occasionally on the Central Western (Alberta) tourist trains in the late 90's, and eventually wound up at the Alberta Railway Museum I Edmonton. She ran to Jasper at one point in the last 2 years, for a Parks Canada Ceremony involving the CN station in Jasper.

There's more, but it would take forever to type out. Quite the life 6060 has had, Retired(1960), stuffed and mounted, ressurected(1972), retired again(1980), ressurected again(1986), the saga continues. Today I believe she is at the Edmonton Museum, in operating condition.
 #52673  by Richard Y

I can't believe how quick I get great information on this forum. Thanks Missthealcos ....if I am ever in Edmonton I will have to visit the Edmonton RR museum. I had a chance to ride the Royal Hudson back in the 1980's..I guess it no longers runs unless the RMR will let it continue, when they take over the BC line.
The calendar also shows a "sister" locomotive to the 6060, the 6218, also built by Montreal Locomotive Works (1942). They say it is now at the Fort Erie Historical RR Museum..that would be in your neck of the woods, Ori. I will have to check it out if I ever get to Ontario.
Thanks, again.
 #52729  by NS VIA FAN

6060 is still in service on the Alberta Prairie Railway between Stettler and Big Valley, Alberta. In fact it will be operating this Sat. and Sun. Sept 18 & 19, 2004.

Here's a link to their Web Site. Click on Schedule:

http://www.absteamtrain.com/

#52850  by missthealcos

6218 was the CN excursion locomotive before 6060 replaced it in 1972. 6167, which was used until replaced by 6218, is in Guelph, Ontario.

Also, 6060 was not the last built, and in fact, there are 2 other "bullet nosed betties" in existance..6077 is in Capreol, Ont., and 6069 is in Sarnia Ont.

#52892  by AmtrakFan

Wasan't it on Display in Jasper in 99? When we were there it was sitting there.

AmtrakFan

#52935  by missthealcos

I don't know if it was visiting Jasper in 99....There is another locomotive in Jasper, CN 6015, which replaced 6060 on display in 1972

#53082  by Montreal Ltd

6060 was the first engine of the last class. 6079 was the actual last engine built for CN.
 #53478  by Don

6218 is on display at Ft. Erie Ont. just across the Niagara river from Buffalo NY. The area is fenced in w/an ample parking lot. There's also a CN caboose + a station that was moved from another location. Don't know the hours & iirc, they charge an admission fee. There may be some pix of it on Elwood's fallen flags site.
Don