Railroad Forums 

• CN Business Train E9's

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#44868  by Otto Vondrak

#44975  by Dieter

Nice indeed! :-D

I'm glad they finally got rid of the ZZZZZebra stripes on the sides!

I wish the logo on the nose was slightly higher and wider. As for the new scheme on the business cars, they should go back to black and white, or the 1954 scheme of black, green and gold. This red and white nonsense looks like a circus train, or a hospital train. Scheme must have been developed by some American...... :wink:

Dieter.

#44997  by missthealcos

I have to disagree, the new paint is hideous. The cars are particularly bad, and considering the green black and gold paint was fairly new, it was also a waste of money. This was most certainly done to eliminate the Canadian National name from the equipment, no other valid reason for such a pointless expenditure on equipment that had near new paint to begin with. The original modern era CN grey/black passenger scheme would have been better.

#45005  by AmtrakFan

I would of kept it in the Old Paint I liked it better but EHH is just trying to make this a U.S. company.

AmtrakFan

#45083  by SRS125

a new look huh? vary intresting.

#45408  by Dieter

1954 rides again!

What don't you like about the new scheme on the locomotives? It's 1962 without the stripes on the sides. You've got a large logo without the "Birthmark" (CNNA's hemisphere), a red face, and so the noodle isn't as large as it could be, this isn't as hideous as Burlington Northern's "Pale Face".

And the black green and gold is a "New Scheme"? How's that? The "New Scheme" was the black/gray and off white you mentioned. This Red and White doesn't make sense. Any word on it's inspiration?

The locos are fine. Just be glad someone's running a large F-Face in the new millennium. I agree though about the de-Canadianization of the company. It's a royal sin!

Dieter.

#45484  by LI Loco

I didn't say I didn't like the "newspaper (black and white and red all over) scheme. I just prefer the original green and duluxe gold, which was the original CN diesel colors.

It's like having Catherine Zeta Jones and Charlize Theron. Both are gorgeous, but only one can play the lead.

#45507  by missthealcos

I was referring to the age of the actual paint on the equipment, not the era.
The E-units look ridiculous in this paint, its' not even the correct paint anymore, its whatever they can get cheap. The red-orange is far too bright, and the "grey" is white. There is little point in having "vintage" power for this type of service, and painting it in some bastardized modern paint scheme(yes, I know the poewer isn't correct either, but it certainly looked better in a period scheme) Again, the cars are just plain horrid.
I was on hand when the Pacific Spirit was painted in the 1954 era paint, and it was one of the first redone from the Via with orange instead of yellow stripes paint, so I know when they were painted, which was recent.

There is only one reason for a company to lay out this money when it is clearly not needed(consider the last time they painted ANYTHING, the only power you see in decent paint is new, so painting is out of character anyway), they want the Canadian National image erased, and there are other actions of late that prove this without a doubt. As I pointed out before, It will be interesting to see when the IC painted business equipment (E's and cars) recieves this paint, I doubt it will be soon, if at all.

#45678  by MC8000

The new bastardized paint scheme on the E's looks terrible. I was very disappointed when I saw it. I hate to see classic equipment like this painted up in a scheme that does NOTHING to accentuate streamlined lines of the units, or pay attention to the CANADIAN NATIONAL's colorful, rich history. The business train might just as well be headed up by a SD-70. Sorry to be so negative, but this was an opportunity to show some class on the part of CN and respect for the great history of the company and the people that created it. :((

#45710  by missthealcos

MC8000 wrote: The business train might just as well be headed up by a SD-70. Sorry to be so negative, but this was an opportunity to show some class on the part of CN and respect for the great history of the company and the people that created it. :((
Exactly, just use an SD70. History of the company? they couldn't care less. It's a huge insult, especially considering it was the people of Canada's money that paid for most of it to begin with. Oh well, thats what we do in this country, sell out...it's sickening.
 #46111  by Dieter

OK. We all agree. GROSS!

Anyone know the reason for the red and white scheme? Red and White, colors of the Canadian flag. It's a new scheme. If de-Canadianization is an issue, why then would the Americans ever select these colors, unless someone got one over?

Dieter.

#46124  by AmtrakFan

MC8000 wrote:The new bastardized paint scheme on the E's looks terrible. I was very disappointed when I saw it. I hate to see classic equipment like this painted up in a scheme that does NOTHING to accentuate streamlined lines of the units, or pay attention to the CANADIAN NATIONAL's colorful, rich history. The business train might just as well be headed up by a SD-70. Sorry to be so negative, but this was an opportunity to show some class on the part of CN and respect for the great history of the company and the people that created it. :((
The Biz Train might as well just be lead by a SD75M. CN dosen't care about their proud history. Sorry if I offened anyone.

AmtrakFan