Railroad Forums 

• Montreal

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#37147  by Ken V

I can only make an educated guess. It looks like this picture may have been taken looking south from the Taschereau Blvd overpass of Sir Wilfred Laurier Blvd and CN's St-Hyacinthe subdivision. Don't take my word for it.

If so, this would be about a mile west of the junction of the St-Hyacinthe and Rouses Point subdivisions. Amtrak's Adirondak takes the Rouses Point sub from the connection with the D&H near the U.S./Canada border to the St-Hyacinthe sub into Montreal Central Station.
Last edited by Ken V on Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #37341  by oleanfuzz

That picture was taken from the pedestrian overpass over southwark yard in Saint Lambert (a great place for railfanning), the cement trench at the top of the picture is highway 116, not Taschereau blvd, and the line coming in from the top of the picture is indeed the junction of the Rouses point sub and the St-Hyacinthe sub.
Last edited by oleanfuzz on Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #37472  by Ken V

oleanfuzz wrote:That picture was taken from the pedestrian overpass over southwark yard in Saint Lambert (a great place for railfanning), the cement trench at the top of the picture is highway 116, not Taschereau blvd, and the line coming in from the top of the picture is indeed the junction of the Rouses point sub and the St-Hyacynthe sub.
Thanks for the correction. I'll make a point of visiting the site the next time I'm in the South Shore.

#38141  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

thanks guys :D When i was up there i loved it, so mnay freight trains and they were so longgggg.
 #40555  by oleanfuzz

I'm afraid I don't, but I'm sure you could find them in the Canadian trackside guide

#65252  by CN/NECR

Hello Matt
It's seems like you need some info on Longueuil Quebec.
Yes there is a pedestrian over pass over Southwark yard in Saint-Lambert.It's a great place to see trains there are also some great pictures on Railpictures.net from Pat Taillon be sure to check those out.
Now as far as the trains..I'm guessing you would see about 30 to 50 trains a day.On the Rouses point sub you won't find that many..just the Amtrak Adirondack twice,the CN 323/324 and the new train that MAY!! satrt on November 17th it would be the CN 328/329.It's most likely that you won't see the cn 323/324 due to they run at dark hours,but you can get lucky sometimes to see them in day time.
Well now thats out of the way we can start with the scanner frequencies
for the yard in Longueuil (Ste-Hyacinthe sub) the frequencies are:
Hot Box Detecter mile:51.7,62.3

161.415 mhz Train standby
160.935 mhz RTC Call 160.665 mhz RTC Call 160.545 mhz RTC Call
160.215 mhz Enginering
160.455 mhz Enginering
Now for the Rouses point sub
Here the are:
161.415 mhz Train standby
160.305 mhz RTC Call
160.785 mhz Enginering

Well I hope some of this helps you I'm only 16 years old and don't have a car yet so I try my best to get information from others.
I also have some pictures of the adirondack taken in Cantic Quebec...just before Rouses point http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=1584 just browse through my pictures and you'll see them.
well if you need some more info about this or other great railfanning spots just feel free to drop me and e-mail at [email protected]
well Later Matt.

#65271  by Ken V

Thanks for the info Darren.

I'm surprised the train frequency is that high (I would have guessed around 15-20 a day). This make it an even a better reason to check out the action in that area.
 #65955  by St-Jean Diamond

Hi Darren,

Concerning ''the new train that MAY!! start on November 17th it would be the CN 328/329'' , could you give us more info. Would it be another NECR/CN train?
Concerning the CN 324, I see it very often in St-Jean around 8h00 in the morning, so I would guess that it leaves Montreal an hour before. The 323 Montreal bound crosses St-Jean around 23h00. Very often ex-cn 9431 is coupled to a LLPX rent-a-wreck that you can hear for miles around because of the whinning it makes (as if the dynamic brake fans where always on!?) Bicot

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?name=Bicot

#66053  by CN/NECR

Hello Bicot,
I would love to tell you more about the new train.The CN328/329 will be a paper train bound for Rouses Point.I am not sure as of yet if the train will run in the day,or night hours.I really hope it will run in the day,cause I spend the sumer in Cantic not far from you,and I always loved to catch the CN324/323,those EX CN 9431,9426 units are my fav,But it ran in the dark hours,I would love if you could take a picture of the 324 for me,if you ever happen to have you're camera with you!It would mean alot to me! :-) And BTW great pictures on Railpictures.net keep up the good work!
I will let you know more information when i get it about the CN 328/329!
See ya
Darren
 #66066  by St-Jean Diamond

Thanks for the infos Darren! I look forward on seeing more NECR/CN traffic (hopefully). I got quite a few pics of CN 9426, 9431, NECR 4047, 3850 and 3854. Some of them I tried to get on railpictures.net but with no luck :( . Seems they are now quite picky... I even got a low quality video taken with my digital camera with NECR 4047 and CN 9426 on it :-) I converted it to DiVX to take less space . Do you have a big mail box? :wink:
Being a proud MLW/Alco fan, I really liked the pics you took at the museum! Seen also NECR 4047. P.S. there is at least 2 photos of RPMX (ex-cn) 9431 on railpic; Photo ID: 31008 and 29783 just in case.. and two more of 9426...