Railroad Forums 

• CN Chicago area operations

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#443651  by CN_Hogger

CN will have to make huge changes in operations to use the J as a different route than going through the city. And I haven't a clue as to what crossings are being blocked, between Glenn yard and Markham there's only one crossing and it's a pedestrian one at that. Now towards Hawthorne there are two additional crossings, one being Pulaski but that is hardly ever blocked. But then again, what do I know, I just work there. :P Now it makes more sense that they'll have a guaranteed route for trains to bypass Markham off of the GTW, but they already use that daily. Not to mention that the CN can't help but mess with almost every train that goes by/through a yard.

Moderator's note - split from EJ&E discussion - Tue Sep 11, 08:04 pm CDT

#443664  by jg greenwood

Not to mention that the CN can't help but mess with almost every train that goes by/through a yard.
Amen, brother!! They've encountered some problems because of this ridiculous habit. Seems the BNSF @ Centralia has refused some grain mty's because the IC just can't refrain from hanging a bunch of loads on the a$$-end. NOT!!!!!! The BNSF actually has placement restrictions on their trains, i.e., not a block of loads behind a 100-mtys! :wink:

#443762  by bufftbone

jg greenwood wrote:because the IC just can't refrain from hanging a bunch of loads on the a$$-end. NOT!!!!!! The BNSF actually has placement restrictions on their trains, i.e., not a block of loads behind a 100-mtys! :wink:
Everytime I'm on the 458/459 layover there are some problems out of Markham. 458 services industries in South Bend east bound on the way to Battlecreek while 459 services industries west bound back to Markham. Whenever I leave out of Markham on the 458, I have to marshall my train around at Olivers yard to properly have everything lined up to service the industries instead of taking more time blocking the main at the industries. When I leave on 459 from Battlecreek, the train placement is perfect. My point being that at Markham, they just don't really care.

One day they wanted to send me out with a loaded acid car on the head end w/o the required buffer. One day out of Glen they DID send me out with a loaded acid car on the head end. The IC portion just doesn't care.

Oh, btw, that day out of Glen when I was forced out with that acid and NO buffers, yes, the FRA did show up and YES, the trainmaster was diciplined (he's no longer a trainmaster).

#443764  by CN_Hogger

jg greenwood wrote:
Not to mention that the CN can't help but mess with almost every train that goes by/through a yard.
Amen, brother!! They've encountered some problems because of this ridiculous habit. Seems the BNSF @ Centralia has refused some grain mty's because the IC just can't refrain from hanging a bunch of loads on the a$$-end. NOT!!!!!! The BNSF actually has placement restrictions on their trains, i.e., not a block of loads behind a 100-mtys! :wink:
My favorite to date was a 'coal train' that I dogcaught at Mango/Edgewood Jct. Get to the train and all I see is grain cars, get on the engine and look the paper work over to see that it is indeed a 101 car coal train, with 49 grain empties on the head end. Needless to say it was a real fun trip to Champaign!

JG, our M336 job out of Glenn Yard is a joke 90% of the time. Set out & pick up at Glenn, set out & pick up at Markham and if we have enough time set out at Champaign. We are indeed a Class 1 shortline!

#443766  by CN_Hogger

bufftbone wrote:Oh, btw, that day out of Glen when I was forced out with that acid and NO buffers, yes, the FRA did show up and YES, the trainmaster was diciplined (he's no longer a trainmaster).
How long ago was this Buff? Just curious who the trainmaster was.

#444362  by bufftbone

CN_Hogger wrote:
bufftbone wrote:Oh, btw, that day out of Glen when I was forced out with that acid and NO buffers, yes, the FRA did show up and YES, the trainmaster was diciplined (he's no longer a trainmaster).
How long ago was this Buff? Just curious who the trainmaster was.
This was probably around late Jan./early Feb time frame. Dennis was the TM. I can't remember his last name but I know it was right around that time when he was thinking about (or going to be forced out) quiting the TM and going back to being a conductor (which he is now).

#444761  by CN_Hogger

bufftbone wrote:
This was probably around late Jan./early Feb time frame. Dennis was the TM. I can't remember his last name but I know it was right around that time when he was thinking about (or going to be forced out) quiting the TM and going back to being a conductor (which he is now).
That's kind of shocking, I know him quite well and that doesn't seem like a call he would make. I don't think they wanted to get rid of him as a trainmaster however, he still fills in in emergencies. Have you expereinced the new dim wit TM at night yet? He's a real piece of work!

#445317  by bufftbone

CN_Hogger wrote:
bufftbone wrote:
That's kind of shocking, I know him quite well and that doesn't seem like a call he would make. I don't think they wanted to get rid of him as a trainmaster however, he still fills in in emergencies. Have you expereinced the new dim wit TM at night yet? He's a real piece of work!
I'm a GTW guy so I don't get to Glenn Yard to often. I tend to go to Hawthorne more then anything. As far as Dennis and that being his choice, i don't think he wanted to send us out like that but is more or less forced to. I overheard a conversation he was having after he stepped down and one of his reasons for doing so was because he was tired of working for people who just didn't care. I've seen him work at Hawthorne and he works his ass off. He's a good conductor. When he fills in he's pretty much laid back. More so then when he was TM full time.

As for the night TM, I can't say I know him. The only two that I know there are Gary Mathey and Jason Lempa. I know Terry Mason fills in from time to time there but I haven't seen him in a while. Last I heard he was a regulat TM at Schiller Park.