Railroad Forums 

• CN sub lettering CN locomotives

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#405366  by lock4244

I've seen a recent photograph of (of all things) a recently shopped and painted CN 9541 in the cn.ca sheme with "CN" sub lettering on the cab. What the...? I guess this is an extension of the sub lettering of power from the US lines, but seems pretty pointless... and they are eroding shareholder value with what they pay for the "C" and the "N" decal, plus the time to have someone apply it.

Anyone else notice this? Any other units out there like this?

#405431  by stuart_iowa

i think the sub lettering is so they do not have to change locomotive numbers with the various mergers and company purchases because CN and IC have the same numbers and same locomotive models. The IC units were painted over to the CN paint job and kept the IC number so the IC was put on the cab near window to show history of unit so they can keep records the same without major changes.

#405470  by Dieter

I don't think it's a waste, it's totally logical.

Think about it; Which is cheaper? Adding two small adhesive letters to the cab to keep track of things, or RENUMBERING the entire combined fleet?

D/

#405501  by lock4244

There aren't that many conflicts in the fleet (CN vs all others). The original US lines (GTW/DWP) didn't conflict to begin with. IC and CN only seem to conflict with the 6000 and 9500 series (and CN has retired a huge chunk of the CN 9500's).

The only 6000's CN had at the merger were SD40U units in the 6000-6028 series. On CN, the 6000-6999 block were traditionally reserved for passenger units, and until the SD40 rebuilds, they kept that tradition alive. From the late 70's onward, all new road units were in the 2000-2999 and 5000-5999 blocks.

GTW had some 6200 an 6400 series that conflict with IC SD40-2's (6200's at least), and the GTW 6400's may have conflicted with some WC SD45's... no worries about that anymore.

I don't see many CN conflicts. Since they only seem to be doing it on CN units in the 9500 series (CN 9591 is another confirmed by photo), prehaps it's only where there is a need.

I know that crews are required to ID a locomotive by it's reporting mark (CN 9541, not 9541), but do you think there is still a chance for confusion between two freshly shopped CN painted locomotives side by side, one being CN 9541 and the other being IC 9541? Seems likely.

#405650  by Ken V

It seems redundant to me. If there are two units in the same area, both in the CN colour scheme, one a CN unit and the other an IC unit, then you'd have to look at the sublettering. If it says IC, then ok, it's the IC unit. If it is missing then it must be CN. If the unit is black and white with the Illinois Central logo there's no doubt either. The same would be true of a maroon/yellow WC unit or a red/blue/white GTW (or DWP) unit. Throw in the grey SD40-3's and some B&LE, DMIR, and BCOL units and it might get messy number-wise but the colours should tell the rest of the story.

If it has a big CN noodle with no subletter, it's a CN.

#406590  by stuart_iowa

all the dash 8-40cw units are sub lettered with CN noodle on the body behind the cab and under the window is the ICRR
a few GTW units have the CN noodle and the GTW on the cab, ( they are the former KCS units, grey in colour , leased thru alstrom I think )

i am sure there is some reason for it
might come down to budget reasons, as to who pays for what under the budget office