Railroad Forums 

• About CN's new SD70M-2's...

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#453259  by bufftbone

uhaul wrote:The units in this consist sure do differ in size.
www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=204930
typical cn engine placement. more times then none the leader is a hot covered wagon w/o ac

#467616  by trainmaster_1

Nope, up to 8836 at the moment.

#470423  by lakeshoredave

awesome photos. i love those new locomotives.

#479077  by bufftbone

uhaul wrote:Snowy picture of 8847 and it sure is clean.
www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=213987
This one was just put into service on 11/28/2007. Still nice and clean on the inside. This engine was part of the M39331 09 That I swapped with. My engineer let me run it for about 20 miles so that I could have the bragging rights at my terminal.

They are nice rides, somewhat comfortable. The conductors desk has no spot to store the orders, just a little clip to keep everything from falling. The reading lights look like microscopes mounted on top of the desk. The light swivels inside. One nice feature I like is that it has a 120vac plug right in the conductors desk. Whether these actually work or the CN disabled them is unknown. I usually carry my laptop with me but on this day I didn't. It would've come in handy because we sat at Madison ave on the IHB waiting to deliver the train to the UP at Proviso yard for 4 hours before we did. Dynamics worked pretty good, perhaps to good, at least compared to what I'm used to.

One draw back is that they are not built with a whisper cab. The engine was noisy as all hell. It was hard to talk and hear w/o raising our voices a little. I've been in much quieter cabs. The bell and horn were not overwhelmingly loud if the windows are open which is nice.

#480044  by CN5789

I hear these new CN SD70M-2 units diesel's are air start, not motor. Is this true?

#480605  by gp9rm4108

Yes

#480616  by throttlebender

If its a one unit wonder and dies en route, when you try to restart it for low oil or lowater ect. will nothing happen? What if its been setout as a helper engine and shutdown for fuel conservation? Would it restart?

#481763  by ENR3870

IIRC, they have a starter reservoir. If it's drained, it has to be charged from another locomotive, or air source.