Railroad Forums 

• CNs' M-636 2338

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#396202  by 2spot

Does CN still have M-636 #2338 hanging around someplace? I realize that it was retired 10 years ago but it was supposedly still someplace near the Mac shops. It isnt in the Trackside guide. Is this an urban legend?

#396252  by lock4244

Last I heard it was buried in Mac Yard somewhere. Was this not CN's Y2K unit? I last saw her running in 1997 trailing a GP40-2L(W)... a model getting to be on the brink and the type of lashup I miss seeing.

#400138  by W.E.Coyote

It's listed under preserved equipment in the CTG and should still be tucked away at Mac.

But I wouldn't go driving around in there searching for it, security et al.

#401239  by nickleinonen

W.E.Coyote wrote:It's listed under preserved equipment in the CTG and should still be tucked away at Mac.

But I wouldn't go driving around in there searching for it, security et al.
it is sitting on track 46 at mac yard diesel shop... you can plainly see it from the road [creditstone]

#401255  by 2spot

Thanks guys. Apparently this is very real and not an urban legend at all. Do any of you know why CN still has this? CN doesn't strike me as being nostalgic. (Especially with current management.)

#401289  by Komachi

2spot wrote...

"Apparently this is very real and not an urban legend at all."

Although it's not the norm, the old words of wisdom do occasionally bear credibility...

"Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction."

I take it that CN isn't usually one to retain "heritage" equipment (unlike, say, UP that still retains two steam engines and a variety of diesel locomotives)? I know they've retained a couple E-units for the corporate train (Ex IC units I believe), but why the M-636? Any particular significance of the 2338?

The world wonders.

#401863  by lock4244

As I stated above, I believe this was CN's Y2K "protection" unit for Mac Yard. In the event the world came to an end on 0001, January 1, 2000, this unit was supposed to be on standby to act as a power generator for the GYO and other buildings in the yard. Odd that they'd pick a locomotive type reputed to be unreliable if not maintained to a very high degree (like the QCM units were).

My guess is they are holding onto it until they get they money back for it's conversion to a stand-by generator :wink:

#436214  by nickleinonen

the old alco alternators were apparently very easy to wire up to provide 600vac power.. the emd and ge's are not easy to hotwire to get power that is at that voltage at 60hz..

it is still sitting at mac yard.. it is on track 31 now.. they had it in the shop to cannibalize some truck components for a dash 8.. it was loads of fun chasing the raccoons out of the shop after they parked it there..

#436505  by 2spot

LOL. Ten years after its retirement, it still can provide parts (or raccoons) when needed. I wouldn't trust CN with it though, they set SD40 #5000 aside for "preservation" after the last sale and now it looks like this: http://www.pbase.com/tsolokan/image/84055995 (for those few of you who haven't seen it).
God forbid that EHH learns of 2338's existence.
nickleinonen wrote: it is still sitting at mac yard.. it is on track 31 now.. they had it in the shop to cannibalize some truck components for a dash 8.. it was loads of fun chasing the raccoons out of the shop after they parked it there..

#437958  by uhaul

Even though I am chuckling at the coon issue I know it is a serious issue. I do wonder what the coons thought as "their" home started to move and where did the coons find places to nest.

#438062  by lakeshoredave

I heard that all CN MLW's were retired.
 #438293  by pablo

They are retired. Read the posts above.

Dave Becker

#439706  by missthealcos

I had actually spoken to a (or the) person responsible for what happens to motive power a year or so ago, and asked about 2338(among other things), and his response was essentially he was trying to save it, and keep the parts thieves at bay in the meantime)(yes, same as above, repeated attempts to swipe the trucks for a GE). It sounded like an uphill battle though, and he wasn't the "final" say in what happens, now seeing what has happened to 5000, he wouldn't have let that happen if it were up to him. From what I could tell he was responsible for what few significant units are around, and where they have wound up(GTW GP9, 1000 series GMD-1's, etc.) He is a railfan, and knew what was important to keep from the scrapper!

#443828  by uhaul

I guess there are some ALCo fan(atics) or part dealers that are trying to illegally canabalize this unit. I did notice that there appears to be no bell or horn on this unit.

9-11-01
9-11-07