Railroad Forums 

• Help with photographing trains

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#378950  by THERAILMAN

I live in B.C. and recently started taking photos of trains with my new camera. The problem I have is not knowing where and when trains will be in my area (Mission B.C.) Is there somewhere that I can find a schedule? Thank you for your time.

#378958  by hailster

Good evening. There really isn't a schedule that is available, atleast that I'm aware of.

I'm also newer person to photographing trains and the best way I've found is to use a scanner and listen to the communications between the locomotives and the dispatchers. Also I've noticed that there's a time frame that the trains will travel on the sub lines around here. I'm not sure if that is everywhere or only around here.

If you need more information on scanning reply and I'll see what I can come up with for frequencies for your area.

-Tim

#387840  by Dieter

I'm not being snyde - Pick a busy line, take a folding chair, pack some snacks and drinks, make sure you have abundant film and batterys and you sit and WAIT until you hear something coming.

Believe it or not, some of the best railway themed photography was taken when there wasn't a train around at all. Subject in point, the work of the late Don Ball.

Make sure you camp out on the side of the tracks with the sun behind you or you won't have much to show for your efforts. Want a scanner? Depending on where you are, they can be illegal, but you don't want one that transmits, just one you can hear the train frequencys on. That will give you an idea when something's coming.

Good Luck!

D/

#389027  by Two-Tone-Green

Well you in luck if your in mission!

go to www.railroadradio.com and you can find information about that area, Try the Yale or Cascade Sub, and you shall be set!

#389041  by Tadman

Dieter's right - I used to hit the tracks at lunch with some Burger King take-out, and just wait. Where I watched, there was usually a NS yard job banging tri-levels around or a drag transfer, but the quiet moments are equally as nice. Don Ball was a master of non-train railroad pics, and those are something that is neat as well. Although I'm not a botanist or even an "amateur flower guy", I like to take pics of plants while waiting to hear the horn of an oncoming. Gives me something to do and new ideas to try. Also, snacks, magazines, radio, iPod, etc... can dull the boredom, as can a walk. Finding an abandoned spur is a nice way to pick up some spikes or something. But unless you live in Chicago or New York, this isn't a hobby for the impatient.

#389502  by hailster

Tadman wrote:Dieter's right - I used to hit the tracks at lunch with some Burger King take-out, and just wait. Where I watched, there was usually a NS yard job banging tri-levels around or a drag transfer, but the quiet moments are equally as nice. Don Ball was a master of non-train railroad pics, and those are something that is neat as well. Although I'm not a botanist or even an "amateur flower guy", I like to take pics of plants while waiting to hear the horn of an oncoming. Gives me something to do and new ideas to try. Also, snacks, magazines, radio, iPod, etc... can dull the boredom, as can a walk. Finding an abandoned spur is a nice way to pick up some spikes or something. But unless you live in Chicago or New York, this isn't a hobby for the impatient.
Or atleast close to a mainline. I live right near CN's Neenah WI yard which has their mainline running through it. I'd say on somedays we can get a train every 25 minutes or so through here. But on most days it can be as little as one an hour. But there is always activity going on around some of the tracks around here.