Railroad Forums 

• IC SD40-2's

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#366742  by emd_SD_60

When exactly did the former BN SD40-2's show up on the IC? I believe it was either '92-'93 when they first appeared. I still remember it like it was yesterday, BN units still in their full Cascade Green paint with original BN numbers, and the huge white "Illinois Central" patch over the BN logo on the cab... :wink:

#368178  by U-Haul

The SD40-2s and -3s are numbered 6100-6265. Most of the -3s and the units with dynamic brakes are in the 6200 number slot. The rest of the units had their dynamic brakes removed. A smart IC decision. :(
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=300183
Below Illinois Central on the cab there is a grayish-silver object.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... x?id=74356
On this unit that object is gone and one can see Cascade Green.
Last edited by U-Haul on Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

#368452  by CN_Hogger

U-Haul wrote:.net/showPicture.aspx?id=300183

That's the builder's plate.

#368639  by emd_SD_60

U-Haul wrote:The SD40-2s and -3s are numbered 6100-6265. Most of the -3s and the units with dynamic brakes are in the 6200 number slot. The rest of the units had their dynamic brakes removed. A smart IC decision.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=300183

And this is relevant to the topic how...?

#368655  by U-Haul

D'oh! I knew I forgot something! Bad quality control on my part, sorry.
These units were retired by Burlinghton Northern around 1991-92. They arrived on the Illinois Central soon after.
http://www.trainpix.com/BN/EMDORIG/SD40-2/INDEX.HTM
Last edited by U-Haul on Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.

#368695  by emd_SD_60

U-Haul wrote:Yes, the units were delivered around 1992-3.
I already mentioned that... now if you don't mind i'd actually prefer someone who's connected to the CN/IC to answer my question, thank you very much!

#369210  by jg greenwood

U-Haul wrote:The SD40-2s and -3s are numbered 6100-6265. Most of the -3s and the units with dynamic brakes are in the 6200 number slot. The rest of the units had their dynamic brakes removed. A smart IC decision.
A smart decision? You've obviously never experienced a 15,000 ton grain train, in 10 degree weather, without the benefit of dymanics. Or have you?

#369787  by ENR3870

emd_SD_60 wrote:
I already mentioned that... now if you don't mind i'd actually prefer someone who's connected to the CN/IC to answer my question, thank you very much!
Geez, U-Haul was only trying to be helpful.

#369798  by emd_SD_60

ENR3870 wrote:
emd_SD_60 wrote:
Geez, U-Haul was only trying to be helpful.
Maybe if you saw his other 600-something posts, you'd see they're far from helpful... He has posted on this same site as another person before, TerryC was his ID. All he likes to do is be noticed.

Now, without further problems, Back to the topic!!!
Last edited by emd_SD_60 on Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #369811  by Komachi

(** Puff of smoke as Komachi emerges dressed in a referee's uniform, blowing a whistle and furriously throwing red and yellow cards about the field **)

Where to start awarding penalties...

Now, U-Haul... I'm getting errors when I click the links in the second posting of this thread, so I can't make a call on the relevence of the pics to the topic at hand.

emd_SD_60, I think U-haul was trying to show the heritage of the unit by example of the unit missing its builder's plate showing the Cascade Green exposed in the void. Therefore it is germane to the topic (albeit loosely) and I will allow it. As to the level of his helpfulness... that is up to the individual reader (some may find him annoying, others, an asset).

And how do you know he's "Terry C?"

And why, exactly would an IC employee know more than a railfan about a certian group of locomotives on the roster? There are some guys on the boards here who know some railroad rosters backwards and forwards and the specifics for each group/class/type, etc., right down to the last rivet. Just because he's a railfan and not an IC employee, doesn't discount his knowledge of the locomotives. Although, that doesn't necessarily make him an expert either.

Mr. Greenwood, if I'm not mistaken, the gentleman is a tad on the young side and is not employed by any railroad whatsoever, and was making a personal opinion on the subject of the dynamic brakes. You, on the other hand, have had time at the throttle and are more knowledgeable on the subject, hense we will deffer to your voice of experience on the topic.

Now...

Can we all calm down a little before I have to bring in my 76 specially trained, fire-extinguisher equipped ninjas to quelch the impending inferno we have before us? Or do I need to hose this thread down and use one of my magic locks (you know, the ones with the MILW logo laser etched on them)?

Also,

Can anyone answer emd's question by verifying the dates of delivery of the BN units to the IC?

And just for my indulgence, how about some links to photos of the units with their IC patch jobs (if any exist).

Now (** blows whistle **), PLAY NICE!

#370635  by lock4244

jg greenwood wrote:
A smart decision? You've obviously never experienced a 15,000 ton grain train, in 10 degree weather, without the benefit of dymanics. Or have you?
I think U-Haul as being a little sarcastic on the DB removal... judging by the frownie face in his original post.