Railroad Forums 

• "Rare" Illinois Central E-units

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#337342  by CN_Hogger

Hate to burst your bubble, but they're not 'true' IC e units. They're ex-BN/CB&Q.
 #337589  by Komachi

CN_Hogger replied...

"Hate to burst your bubble, but they're not 'true' IC e units. They're ex-BN/CB&Q."

(Best Peter Stormare (guy in the VW "unpimp ze auto" commercials) voice).

OH, SNAP!!!!!! :P

Although, in James' defense, allow me to add that while not "true" (as in original to the IC) IC E8s, they do look sharp in IC "corporate" colors. :-D

#337735  by alchemist

But somehow those ditch lights just don't make it on that big ol' E! :(

#338144  by CN_Hogger

I agree that they look good in the IC executive colors...that's all it is though a paint job. The cab interiors are quite nasty and the engine compartment looks like it hasn't been touched at all since they were rebuilt for the BN.

#340086  by Otto Vondrak

I don't like the number boards... what happened to the EMD-style inserts?

And I'd much rather see them painted in "true" Illinois Central brown and panama orange. But with IC swallowed up by CN, I guess this isn't a bad compromise...

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=71450

-otto-

#341900  by Engineer James

However, there is 2 TRUE IC E8 on sale currently for MARC numbered #4258. Her and her partner (unknown number) pulled the last C of NO train for IC on April 30, 1971.

Pics:

Unknown Locomotive Number (MARC #60)

This is also an ex-IC #4023....

#342703  by nickleinonen

CN_Hogger wrote:I agree that they look good in the IC executive colors...that's all it is though a paint job. The cab interiors are quite nasty and the engine compartment looks like it hasn't been touched at all since they were rebuilt for the BN.
yeah, the cab and engnie room on those is not in the nicest condition. ic 101 was at cn family day this summer [mac yard toronto]. the cummins genset in the back end was ever loud going along at full tilt.. i didn't get a chance to drive it though:( as i was working as the groundman that day hostling..

#342862  by Engineer James

Sounds interesting.

#347529  by emd_SD_60

I was looking at a pic of the 101 and compared it to a pic of one of the IC E8's in the 1960's, and noticed the black stripe area is in the same pattern as the orange one on the 1960's E units... nice touch.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but these are still true E units, unlike the UP ones... they still have the twin 567's and original control stands when new don't they?

#348418  by CN_Hogger

emd_SD_60 wrote: Correct me if i'm wrong, but these are still true E units, unlike the UP ones... they still have the twin 567's and original control stands when new don't they?
Yes, although they've got 26L automatic airbrakes, not sure if the BN did that or the IC.

#352585  by c604.

"Yes, although they've got 26L automatic airbrakes, not sure if the BN did that or the IC"

IC took the fun out of it. They all had PS-68 brake valves (like a no. 6 valve but with electronic assist features) for commuter service on the BN.