Railroad Forums 

• BC Rail engines starting to appear in deadlines

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#293574  by Two-Tone-Green

2spot wrote:TTG, at least one of your pics is here: http://www.cnrphotos.com/gallery/v/powe ... er/album07 so dont be all shy and modest. You're a good photo & videographer. You must know some people that you could ask - which C40 is at Woodcrest?
lol I forgot I posted it there :)

Thank you! My dad says that all the time, I dont really know people that I could ask lol

Ill eventually find out
 #294095  by Komachi

Okay, guys...

This thread is kinda getting the feeling of being a private conversation among a particular "clique," and not one for the general forum.

Not that you guys are deviating a great deal from the topic at hand, but it seems like there have been more "attaboy" posts lately than discussions on locomotives in the deadlines.

If you want to discuss the C-40-8Ms and their attributes that are keeping them from being cut up, feel free to continue that line of thinking... as long as you relate them to the units being hacked up for Hyundais...

As for the commentary about the wishing of certian paint jobs...

CN9634 said

"I want to see a B40-8 repainted CN :-D "

To wit, Two-Tone-Green replied (while having a near heart-attack)

"*clears throat*

what did you just say? :( "

Yeah. We all know the Red, White and Blue scheme is the best. :P (Hey, I'm a Bicentenial Baby, so I'm biased on that opinion.)

Although, if you guys want to continue this discussion, we can start a new, fantasy, thread about "what if" paint jobs. Although, CN9634 makes a prophetic statement, to some extent... as the units go through the shops for major repairs, they will be repainted... in CN corporate colors, since BCR has been taken over by CN.

(Although, in TTG's defense, if CN follows the UP lead and paints "heritage" units, then you may very well see a two-tone green unit on CN.)

Now...

Are the BCR units being herded to one location for disposition, or are they going to a variety of locations? Just currious.
 #294101  by Two-Tone-Green

[quote="Komachi"]
To wit, Two-Tone-Green replied (while having a near heart-attack)

"*clears throat*

what did you just say? :( "

I think near heart attack at 17 is pretty bad :s

Well they hang mostly around the BCR Mainline as there are usually 3C40-8M's on the daily 546 between Squamish and North Vancouver, Or 2 C40-8M's and a SD40-2 or C44-9WL or what have you but I have only seen one CN 3 CN units on the BCR Squamish sub while fanning, once leading...

#294539  by 2spot

Hey, Komachi. I've been meaning to give you a big thumbs up on the moderating thing, but now I dont know... ( I dont wanna get in trouble!) For what its worth, a picture of a BCRail C40-8M in a line of WC SD45s looks like it might be bound for the metal shredder with the SDs. It probably isnt as bad as it looks and EJ&ESDM809 has reported it has left Homewood. So if isnt already converted into razor blades and Hyundais (& it isnt.), its somewhere on the CN system where it will eventually derail.
 #294551  by Komachi

2spot,

No prob. You guys know I'm fairly laid back and won't say anything unless it's absolutely necessary. And actually, you guys were technically on topic, but I felt I should say something to keep things from going wildly off topic... just in case. Otherwise, an occasional thumbs up to one another is fine by me.

Personally, I'm not too happy about seing those WC units getting cut up, but we already have another thread about that, so I'll leave my coments at that. What else is on the chopping block as far as BCR units go? Is it mostly GE or EMD stuff? How much of the BCR fleet will be retained and incorporated into the CN general motive power pool and how much is being sold off? Been currious about that.

#295007  by 2spot

I have a fairly negative view of CN operations as you may have surmised from my last post. I'm not psychic either (despite the derailment since my last post), its just that CN seems to put profits ahead of all other factors and the fact that the single largest investor is Bill Gates should say something. As far as BCRails locomotive futures go; The Alco/MLW based engines and slugs are doomed. Period. The other engines will likely go out in about the same order as CNs. The Dash-7s are being phased out and may be gone by now. I'm not sure how many (if any) remain. The remainder of BCRails' fleet is about as modern as CNs, the oldest of which are the ex-Oneida & Western SD40-2s built in 09/79. The big railroads tend to prefer GM switchers and road switchers with GM &(or) GE road power. A generalisation perhaps, but seemingly true. If so, then BCRails power is safe with CN. I have no idea whatsoever about any repaints, but I hope not.

#295183  by Two-Tone-Green

click on thumbnail for larger image

Behind 2 other units in the consist BCR 747 sits at Thornton yard awaiting its next assignment with CN 2229 and a SD75

#296138  by 2spot

The West Coast Railway Association newsletter states that CN has retired 32 former BCRail engines (& slugs). http://www.wcra.org/railwaynews/ This list now includes the last three B36-7s (ex-ATSF) and the prototype CRS-20 #609. Three more slugs (former RS-3s) were also retired.

#301663  by EJ&ESDM809

The BC Rail engines are now together in the deadline. In fact, here is a photo I got of them last Saturday. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=159944 That prototype 609 was one of the engines that were there. These will probably be scrapped just like all other engines that have been in that deadline.

#308126  by Two-Tone-Green

I think their idiots for doing that... I can understand the blue GE POS's but the cats...

If I had a short line id buy those... they ran fine and are quieter than those GEEP 9's CN have.... ohhh well good things cant last forever

#308254  by trainiac

Exterior-wise, those engines look to be in pretty good condition for CN to be scrapping them...

#308309  by 2spot

The CRS-20s were rebuilt completely between 1990-1999. In fact they were rolled out as new locomotives one at a time then. BCRail used to take care of and had pride in their equipment. The locomotives are not worn out and, yes, generally are in pretty good condition. BCRail is just a unit of CN now and CN doesnt operate Alco/MLW locomotives nor Cat powered ones of any brand. Ultimately, thats why they are there. On paper they may be retired due to a failure of some kind, but nothing too major (except 601, it had a PM failure and 602 which had a fire). In the end, they are good locomotives and CN doesnt want 'em cause theyre different. Orphans on a railway they've served on for up to 50 years. Its funny too that they're short of power in the 4 axle, 2000 HP range when these CRS-20s are that with DB, remote control and set up as mothers for slugs. Did I mention that CN isnt paying attention to their own needs?

#309292  by gp9rm4108

CN is a business that is out to make money and keep sharholders happy. Public safety and well being of the employees means squat. It's the almighty dollar that reigns supreme and thats that. It's sad.

CN wants to get rid of the milage limits and the ability to take our rest (we can now take up to 24 hours here in Canada) and give us an hourly wage and screw us over big time. They want us working all the time and sleeping whenever they see fit.

The unions here are fighting it, but employee safety and well being mean nothing. It making profit with as little manpower, equipment and resources as possible.

I do agree that scrapping all the 4 axle power is stupid because one of these days all the GP9u's and GP9Rm's that they have are going to crap out on them and they will have no beltpak units or switchers at all.

#311898  by U-Haul

CN9634, you need to better specify which -8 you mean. There are B39-8s, C40-8Ms, and C40-8Ws.