Railroad Forums 

• BC Rail engines starting to appear in deadlines

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#287793  by EJ&ESDM809

On my last few trips to Homewood, I have noticed BC Rail engines mixing in with the WC SD45s in the deadline. There have been slugs, Alcos, C40-8Ms, and C36-7s at Homewood. There have been more and more each trip.

#287809  by trainiac

C40-8M's! Really? They're pretty young in the grand scheme of things.

#288352  by 2spot

The C40-8Ms were upgraded to 4400 HP as was alluded to in U-Hauls second picture. In fact they were upgraded to Dash 9 specifications. I dont think CN would scrap such a unit without catastrophic damage. The others probably wont survive, however. The Alco based units were phased out of CN operations long ago; and Cat powered RS-18s are an unfortunate orphan there. The older GEs have been going through Progress Rail to a railway in Brasil.

#288382  by pablo

I thought I saw that the Cat powered RS-18's were already going to be parted out.

Dave Becker

#288494  by 2spot

The first batch are. Houston Locomotive Group is parting those and will likely get more. I'm not sure how many 'CRS-20's are left since many never made it to a CN internet sale. Oddly, there isnt much interest in saving any of these units locally since they arent very original (pure Alco powered) despite having worked up to nearly 50 years in BC. These are BCRails last Alcos, I dont get it. For those of you unfamiliar with these units I'll leave a link from CNs photo gallery; note that a couple pics were shot at Symington (Winnipeg, MB) on their way to Homewood: http://www.cnrphotos.com/gallery/v/powe ... r/album11/
 #290026  by Bryanjones

EJ&ESDM809 wrote:On my last few trips to Homewood, I have noticed BC Rail engines mixing in with the WC SD45s in the deadline. There have been slugs, Alcos, C40-8Ms, and C36-7s at Homewood. There have been more and more each trip.
Don't worry, power such as the BC Rail C40-8M's isn't going anywhere, its merely there for repairs. These units are going into systemwide service on CN so you can catch them anywhere. Power like the GE DASH 7's and the CAT repowered RS18's are being retired though.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

#290546  by 2spot

I went to Williams Lake, BC recently and watched two of the Cat repowered RS-18s switch the yard there in remote control. They seemed to be doing a pretty good job of it. Actually they seem like sweet little units, its a shame CN has decided to can them, really.

#293010  by 2spot

Christian, good to see you on here. For those of you who dont know him, Two Tone Green is a BCRail fan like few others. (Hopefully he'll share some pics and/or video). The Dash 8 40CM at Homewood hasnt been identified to my knowledge, but is likely facing a repair. Theyre good but not infallable. Certainly too soon to scrap such a unit.

#293306  by Two-Tone-Green

I a BCR fan... how did you tell ;)

Ok Ok ill make up my signature.....

#293310  by Two-Tone-Green

Made it and yeah, you can dinf C40-8M's in my vids :D

#293438  by CN9634

I want to see a B40-8 repainted CN :-D

#293572  by Two-Tone-Green

*clears throat*

what did you just say? :(