Railroad Forums 

• GTW Rule 529B

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#271567  by CSX ENG

Can any GTW employees give me the exact definition of Rule 529B? This rule is used when highway crossing gates are malfunctioning. Thanks......

#271755  by BlackDog

Well I'm not GTW but I do fall under USOR, so here goes:

529. ACTIVATION FAILURE/FALSE ACTIVATION

B. FALSE ACTIVATION. When notified of a false activation:

* Procedeinto the crossing at 15 MPH until the leading end of the train
completely occupies the crossing. Then procede at normal speed.

* If shoving, crossing must not be occupied until visible warning has
been provided to mtorists by a crew member on the ground at the
crossing.

If there is a properly equipped flagman available to provide warning for each direction of highway traffic or at least one uniformed law enforcement officer (railroad or police), movement may procede through the crossing at normal speed.

In either case of Activation Failure or False Activation, whistle signal 410(7) must be sounded regardless of any locomotive whistle quiet zone.
When advised by the Rail Traffic Controller or signal employee at the crossing that the malfunction has been repaired, then these instructions will no longer apply.

#272047  by CSX ENG

Thanks for the prompt reply! This is exactly what I was looking for......