Railroad Forums 

• SD40s sent to the scrapper

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#264249  by EJ&ESDM809

Here is a update on the SD40s at Homewood. CN is not putting them up for sale. CN is beginning to scrap the SD40s.This includes WC 6001, the three DWP SD40s, and several GTW SD40s. As a result, DWP, a very historic railway, is now a thing of the past. There are no other engines in DWP paint in the country, and it is now extinct, never to run ever again. The SD45s are still up for sale, but if no one buys them, they will be scrapped.

#265461  by lock4244

Very sad from a railfans perspective (I imagine some in the running trades and the mechanics may not miss them). Funny how once these were the bane of railfans since they seemed to be everywhere, largely due to the success of the 40 series, and now we lament their passing. I always enjoyed seeing the GTW and DW&P SD40s up here for the splash of color they provided (and until the SD75I's and C44-9W's came around, we were drowning in a sea of GP40-2L(W)'s), sucks they're all gone now. The passage to time has a way of catching up with the invincable, even 30+ yeaar old workhorses :wink:

CN still applies the DWC reporting mark to both new, second-hand and referbished freight cars, but it ain't the same as the motors. I guess the WC and DMIR will be the next to loose their identity on the point... hard to believe CN is spending $$$ on full paintjobs for the SD40T-3's.

#267067  by EJ&ESDM809

The usual power on CN here on the former IC has become the blue C40-8Ws with IC sublettering and the CN Dash 9s with IC sublettering, along with plenty of regular CN Dash 9s. CN is starting to replace some of the old IC WS14s at Homewood althoughthey still dominate yard movements for now. The locals often have GT GP38-2s. Sometimes with luck, IC SD70s can still be found on intermodal trains, and IC SD40-2s can be occasionally appear on manifest trains, although a lot of them have been getting repainted. The DWP and GT SD40s were very rare on anything, and when they were running, it was very unusual for them to lead. I did catch DWP 5905 on the lead of a manfest once. WC SD45s were quite frequent on manifest trains, usually not leading, but now almost all of them have been retired. I believe 26 were left unless more were deadlined