Railroad Forums 

• Just switched to CNIC

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#212820  by deadhead74

Hey folks. Just wanted to say hi. I see alot of you work out of the Homewood, IL terminal and I just got hired last week by CNIC and will maybe be working with ya someday. I came over from CSX Barr Yard after 6 months... what a nitemare. The garuntee was horrible, and everyone there just seemed so hateful and hated every new hire like we where there to steal there jobs. So I had to put that behind me. Hell I got a 250% pay raise at the CNIC! I was shocked lol. I thought all class 1 RR's payed the same. I hope I dont sit at home on the extraboard 5 out of a 7 day week. Life was sucking bad at that pay, so hopefully I made a good move.

My question for anyone who does work for CNIC in Homewood or nearby, whats it like? How are the people? Hows the working conditions? I now quite a few people who worked for the IC, but none of them in transportation.

#214598  by Dieter

Deadhead74, welcome to the forum and congratulations with your new job.

Can you please tell me when the corporation was changed to CNIC? I thought the IC part of it got buried in the ballast. This is the first reference I've seen to CN resurrecting any part of the fallen flag entity.

Dieter.

#214780  by deadhead74

Well Ive not been a trainman for very long, however with my dads best friend who has worked the IC for 37 years is a huge train buff. That and a few others I now who work the IC as carman and electricians are also train buffs. I wouldnt call myself a trainbuff, but I now probably now alot more than your average person about railroading from hanging around these people most of my life. They all call it the CNIC... or sometimes just IC lol. I dunno, guess after you have called it the IC forever, you just cant let go of the name. Too much tradition I guess.

#214869  by GrandTrunk

It's funny, in the Grand Trunk side of CN, we still refer to ourselves as Grand Trunk no matter how hard CN trys to change that.

#215055  by Dieter

Sounds like a case of "Boston And Albany Syndrome" to me. :wink:

Dieter./

#215886  by Tadman

CN doesn't help themselves by letting all their smaller geeps of former roads such as GTW and IC remain in their respective liveries. Take a ride past Markham or down CTA Orange, and you'll see more GTW or IC geeps than CNR.

And welcome to the area, my office is in Chicago Heights on CHTT (at Thrall Car). That's a road UP will never admit to anybody it exists, even though it legally does (and on a few freight cars).
 #216191  by EJ&ESDM809

I go by Homewood Yard a lot. I've seen DWP SD40s, DM&IR SD38-2s, as well as GT, IC, and WC, and even foreing power such us UP and CSX. The yard'd IC heritage is all over. There is a watertower with a IC logo on it still and plenty of IC SW14s working.