Railroad Forums 

• CN has gone SD70M-2!

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#195186  by Amtrak31

http://railfan.thegrebs.com/EMD-London-Ontario I like it. It looks very nice! They are also ordering 50 ES44DC's.

Here's part of the article: CN will take delivery of 50 ES44DC locomotives from GE Transportation Rail, a unit of General Electric Co., and 25 SD70M-2 locomotives from Electro-Motive Diesel, starting in the fourth quarter of 2005, with completion by mid-2006.

CN has also negotiated options, effective through the end of 2008, to acquire a further 25 ES44DC and an additional 50 SD70M-2 locomotives.

#195476  by oleanfuzz

Wonder why they numbered it 8000 instead of 5801, i.e. right after their last order of SD75I's

#196979  by Amtrak31

That's an interesting question. I'm not sure why. My guess would be because people will get confused by thinking an SD70M-2 is an SD75I. :wink:

#199326  by oleanfuzz

Could CN use the SD75I or the SD70M-2 interchangeably in their system? They are both rated at 4300 hp... I wonder if there is something about the 70M-2's that make a difference.

#208959  by ENR3870

The SD70M-2's are being recalled by EMD due to noise issues in the cabs. Of course I hear the new GE's are just about as loud. When the first SD70M-2 made it to Thornton apparently there ws a 2-page list of problems that the locomotive was having.

#220864  by ENR3870

oleanfuzz wrote:Wonder why they numbered it 8000 instead of 5801, i.e. right after their last order of SD75I's
Because they would be conflicting with GTW 5800 series GP38's. Easier to put the numbers on the new units than haul in the 38's and renumber them.

#231737  by trainiac

The SD70M-2's are being recalled by EMD due to noise issues in the cabs. Of course I hear the new GE's are just about as loud. When the first SD70M-2 made it to Thornton apparently there ws a 2-page list of problems that the locomotive was having.
I bet the high headlight is also on the list of problems. These units were tacked on to the end of the NS SD70M-2 order and were built to NS specs, which is probably where many of the problems started! I hope (for the sake of the crews) that future units will be to CN specs--which would mean nose-mounted headlights and more cab insulation.