Railroad Forums 

• CN tower in toronto

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#192265  by brockportman

i thought the CN tower was used for radio transmissions by the cananian pacific railway. am i wrong?

#192321  by Carmine

I am not sure that CP uses the tower, per se, but the antenna that is on the top is functional for relaying radio signals.
I wouldn't be surprised if CP signals were used on a tower antenna that bears the name of a rival freight company, in fact it's quite possible that it does, because the "CN" in the CN Tower doesn't stand for Canadian National anymore, since CN sold some of its non-rail assests 10 years ago.

#193128  by stuart_iowa

CN Tower is now owned by another company, it transmits alot of radio and tv stations, cell phones, so i am sure it is used by most companies directly or indirectly

#193364  by Dieter

In this day and age, even if CN still owned it, they would be foolish not to sell Xmtr space to CP and take their money like any other customer.

On the subject, does anybody know if the former CP owned "Skylon" tower has any repeaters for rail traffic?

Dieter.