Railroad Forums 

• Locomotive lettering...

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#168211  by doepack

This morning, I saw CN SD60F road number 5562 as the middle unit in a three locomotive consist on an eastbound UP manifest on the Geneva Sub. From the outside, on the engineer's side below the unit number, I saw the following in smaller letters: GF862-B. I've seen this sort of alphanumeric combination on other CN locomotives, and have always wondered what this means. Anyone that knows, feel free to edify, TIA...

#168312  by Ken V

Refer to the thread titled Canadian Classification on the Canadian Pacific board.

#168646  by doepack

Thanks, Ken... the info was quite useful and informative.

#168775  by Ken V

You're welcome. I didn't mention it before but, a GF862b CN loco would look really strange: that describes an 8-axle 6200 HP EMD locomotive!