Railroad Forums 

• CN Narrow Gauge

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#163496  by NS VIA FAN

A quick trip to Newfoundland last weekend allowed me an opportunity to see what’s left of CN’s old Newfoundland Narrow Gauge.....And there’s lots. The railway was abandoned in 1988 and the final train ran in 1990 with the removal of the last piece of track.

There were mixed trains operating until the end and some of the passenger equipment can be seen in these pictures. There's also lots of evidence of the old railway:

Here's a link to the pictures I took:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse. ... id=1442804

Photos #1 & #2 show the Ferry dock and old standard gauge yard at Port aux Basques. Truck trailers are now parked in the yard but you can see where the tracks have been paved over. Photo #3 is the old CN shop where mainland (standard gauge) cars had there wheels changed out for narrow gauge ones and left the other end of the shops on 3'-6" tracks.

Photos #4 & #5 show a display of preserved equipment at Port aux Basques. Engine 934 was never lettered “Newfoundland Railway” but wore a similar CNR green paint scheme when it first entered service in the 1950's. (CN had already taken over the railway when Newfoundland joined Canada in 1949)

Photos #6, #7 & #8 show some of the equipment on display in Corner Brook (some of the old station platform is still visible in #7) Again a play on paint schemes: the cars are in the modern CN scheme they wore at the end of the passenger service, but have a “NFLD Rwy” logo instead of the CN logo they actually wore. (And they were never hauled by steam in this paint scheme) The car interiors are nicely restored!

Photo #9 is the former CN engine terminal in Corner Brook.

There's a great trip report in the "Rail Travel Forum" by a fan who took a similar trip a couple of years ago.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5233

#163542  by AmtrakFan

Thanks for sharing I was there to see it once. I saw an RS18 at a Museum.