Railroad Forums 

• IC 6071

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#153012  by emd_SD_60

I was checking a Yahoo Group I belong to, and it says the 6071 is currently down due to traction motor trouble. Let's hope it's not the end of the line for the 6071, as it's a one-of-a kind locomotive. :(
IC 6071 MAY be it!!! Heard today, it is sidelined due to traction motor trouble.

Could this be the end???
Hope not! Hope it's back online right as I type! :wink:

A picture, for some of those not familiar with the 6071:

#153071  by AmtrakFan

This is very sad but I hope CN will donate it to a Museum once they realize how historic it is.

#153505  by emd_SD_60

Remember, it only mentioned that it MIGHT be the end for the 6071. Hopefully it's only a rumor and it is back online. I wonder if e-mailing CN about this particular locomotive will do any good. Probably wouldn't hurt to. :wink: And if it is true and 6071 has met its end , yes I want it put in a museum, restored back into it's red and white GM&O paint!

And does anyone remember the 6072, built as MKT 637 and pieced together in 1985 from wrecked MKT SD40-2's 613 and 628, later becoming UP 3844? Luckily that one still is on the roster, although I haven't seen it since last September! :(

#155912  by natethegreat

Its good to see 6071 back, at least its not in CN paint yet...

#156099  by UPRR engineer

Traction motor trouble is no big deal. Well it is for the guys that have to change it out, but its not a reason to give up on a unit.

#158248  by metra 613

I saw 6071 everday this week.Its been used alot around chicago this week. It looks very nice.

#210312  by ic9623

I saw it just a week aga on a north bound out of Mattoon Illinois. Looks good and sounds good to!