Railroad Forums 

• NS power on CN in Quebec

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#1275349  by mkittredge

Last Friday I was on one of my many trips to Quebec. CN's 324 from Montreal arrived in Richmond at 4:40 with 47 cars. 323 left Richmond at 7:05 with 83 cars going back to Montreal. What was unusual was the power. The engines were NS 9460 and NS 7545! That was the first time I had ever seen those trains with foreign power. Does anybody know if this will this be happening again?
 #1281430  by Montrealrail1

Since almost a yar,CP 930/931,most of time with NS power,are now going by CN Rouse point sub,called CN 528/529,but during the day,cause CN are sometime short of power,using the power of 528 to do the 394 job,but,it's not only NS power,sometime it's BNSF and also,Santa Fe are used to do some train traveling..
like this one on CN 309

#1287841  by Engineer Spike

This train is called 930/931 on CPR/D&H. It is a run through train between Enola and Taschereau Yard, in Montreal. NS crews run north to Saratoga, where D&H crews take it. I was on the first 930. For a few years they ran on the NJ (Lacolle Sub). They returned to the original D&H-CN route about a year ago.
 #1288073  by CPF363

Has NS power made it down to St. Albans to hand off and pick up cars to/from the NECR on the 324/323 turn trains? Speed limits should be increasing if they have not already done so on the Swanton Subdivision south of the border making turn to St. Albans much faster.
 #1290502  by Engineer Spike

These trains are a straight CN-NS deal, which runs via the D&H. The only way NS units would go on the NECR is if the CN "borrowed" the units. If NS owed CN horsepower hours, then CN might use the NS repayment units.