Railroad Forums 

• Bad one in Miss

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#145498  by AmtrakFan

We need to pray for these people's families.

#145506  by jg greenwood

CTC territory with Bentonia (M.P. 193.0) not listed as a station. Timetable shows a 1000' connecting track here, opening from the north. Sidings north of Bentonia at Anding (M.P. 189.7) south at Flora (M.P.205). Many problems on this stretch of railroad the past few years.
Last edited by jg greenwood on Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#145507  by AmtrakFan

Mr. Greenwood,
Actually when IC 1st put CTC on this line lets say they christened it by derailing a train. Then Amtrak had a wreck around here last year.

#145508  by jg greenwood

AmtrakFan wrote:Mr. Greenwood,
Actually when IC 1st put CTC on this line lets say they christened it by derailing a train. Then Amtrak had a wreck around here last year.
Doesn't surprise me in the least Mr. P!

#145523  by AmtrakFan

Just found some info on the Derailment History
1 in 1986
2 in 1994
1 in 2004-Amtrak 58
1 in 2005

#145537  by Amtrak31

My thoughts and prayers go out to the crew's families.

#145644  by Amtrak31

Looks like a dispatcher messed up big. :(

#145657  by CSX ENG

Amtrak31 wrote:Looks like a dispatcher messed up big. :(
What leads you to believe that the dispatcher is at fault?

#145671  by Amtrak31

I'm not saying a dispatcher is definately at fault, but when two trains collide, there's a chance that a dispatcher lined the switch up wrong. I'm not saying that was the case in this situation.

#145683  by Ken V

This is a very tragic occurrence. My sympathies to the families and friends of the victims. Let's wait until all the facts are in before laying blame.

#145686  by Amtrak31

I wasn't saying a dispatcher was at fault. I was just saying what I thought happened.

#145792  by Aji-tater

I agree we should not jump to any conclusions on what happened. There are many possibilities including dispatcher error, crew error, and signal problems. In due time they will come up with a determination.

Also, the remark above "There's a chance a dispatcher lined the switch up wrong". In CTC, if a dispatcher lined a switch wrong it should set a red signal against at least one of the trains - it's not a case of just accidently sending two trains running into each other.

#145796  by jg greenwood

Re: signal problems, a very strong possibility. In the last year there's been at least one "signal malfunction." Enough said about this on a public forum.