Railroad Forums 

• Buffer cars for Haz Mats in Canada

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#1201686  by train2

Do Canadian regulations require the use of buffer cars for Haz-mats such as crude and ethanol like those required by the FRA in the US? I realize any train running on both sides of the border will have a buffer by default for the entire trip. I was just curious if the requirement was the same in Canada?

I am interested to know how the two side so the border either mirror each other or differ?

Train2
 #1255959  by ENR3870

train2 wrote:Do Canadian regulations require the use of buffer cars for Haz-mats such as crude and ethanol like those required by the FRA in the US? I realize any train running on both sides of the border will have a buffer by default for the entire trip. I was just curious if the requirement was the same in Canada?

I am interested to know how the two side so the border either mirror each other or differ?

Train2
If the train made up of only one type of dangerous good and no other cars are on the train no buffer is required.