Railroad Forums 

• First photo to publicize the condition of IC locomotives?

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#117819  by emd_SD_60

I think JG Greenwood (or even CN Hogger) might answer that, cuz from reading JG's posts, he hasn't had any good things to say about those old IC locos... :wink:

Besides, wouldn't it have made better sense to pool a SD70 instead?

#117864  by jg greenwood

emd_SD_60 wrote:I think JG Greenwood (or even CN Hogger) might answer that, cuz from reading JG's posts, he hasn't had any good things to say about those old IC locos... :wink:

Besides, wouldn't it have made better sense to pool a SD70 instead?
Please don't misunderstand my thoughts re: SD-40s. If properly maintained, they're by far my favorite engine. IIRC, the Escalante Western, as of 2000 or so, still used these bad-boys for their coal trains. There was an article in Trains magazine several years ago re: the Escalante Western. The SD-40's pictured looked clean enough to"'eat off the floors." The IC SD-70's? Rapidly being reduced to junk for the same reason, inadequate maintenance. The last time I had one was on a coke train. The dynamics were terrible! No matter what position was used, they would spike and then drop almost totally out. No big deal you say? On this train it was because of a kicker in the train. It took me three stops, account of the kicker, to get her down a modest hill three miles in length.

#117881  by emd_SD_60

Don't worry, I didn't forget about how a well-maintained SD40 is your fave. :wink: I had to find something to reply to Terry C about those SD40's, and that was the first thing to pop up.

What I don't get is the photo caption mentioning that the loco is heading for scrap. I don't think that's going to happen. These locomotives now belong to CN, they're going to have to put the IC's half-ass maintenance "jobs" to rest and start fixing these babies up their way. For starters, a complete rebuild at Paducah. :wink: Rebuilt Prime mover, upgraded electrics (at least in the SD40's case), the works.

Of course, nobody quote me on this. This is just my two cents on the matter. :wink:

Also JG, I did a little Googling on the EW, and here's one particular site:
http://www.trainweb.org/southwestshorts/eswr.html

#118357  by AmtrakFan

Well with how BN beat the Hell out of them no wonder their so bad.

#118360  by jg greenwood

emd_SD_60 wrote:Don't worry, I didn't forget about how a well-maintained SD40 is your fave. :wink: I had to find something to reply to Terry C about those SD40's, and that was the first thing to pop up.

What I don't get is the photo caption mentioning that the loco is heading for scrap. I don't think that's going to happen. These locomotives now belong to CN, they're going to have to put the IC's half-ass maintenance "jobs" to rest and start fixing these babies up their way. For starters, a complete rebuild at Paducah. :wink: Rebuilt Prime mover, upgraded electrics (at least in the SD40's case), the works.

Of course, nobody quote me on this. This is just my two cents on the matter. :wink:

Also JG, I did a little Googling on the EW, and here's one particular site:
http://www.trainweb.org/southwestshorts/eswr.html
Great work there Mr. Chris! Now that's some SD-40's I would love to run!!

#118377  by emd_SD_60

I am also beginning to see wide-cab CN SD40-2W's on the point of trains, the recent being this morning, 5324 leading WC 6591. I'm sure those (CN) units are better maintained than some of the "I desperately need an overhaul because my railroad never took care of me" IC SD40A's.

Quite shocking to hear about those SD70's too. :(

#118379  by CN_Hogger

I really haven't had too many problems with the 6000/6100/6200's....atleast mechanically speaking. Their loud and ride like crap. (Nothing like hearing the sounds of dogs humping over the road)

Just because a unit has a bad day doesn't mean it's heading for the scrapper, parts wear out, etc... But I'll probably have to agree with JG, lack of proper maintenence is more likely the problem.

BTW, JG did you hear about the remote 'incident' in Champaign this past Friday?

#118384  by emd_SD_60

Those 6000-6200's are like "kidney killers" I bet, like J.D Santucci quoted on the MP U30C's over at the MoPac site. :P

#118433  by jg greenwood

CN_Hogger wrote:I really haven't had too many problems with the 6000/6100/6200's....atleast mechanically speaking. Their loud and ride like crap. (Nothing like hearing the sounds of dogs humping over the road)

Just because a unit has a bad day doesn't mean it's heading for the scrapper, parts wear out, etc... But I'll probably have to agree with JG, lack of proper maintenence is more likely the problem.

BTW, JG did you hear about the remote 'incident' in Champaign this past Friday?
No, no info re: the Champaign fiasco.

#118434  by jg greenwood

emd_SD_60 wrote:Those 6000-6200's are like "kidney killers" I bet, like J.D Santucci quoted on the MP U30C's over at the MoPac site. :P
Chris,
I'm first out and there's a vacancy on the L-546 this morning. I'll no doubt get a dose of those hammered pieces of junk! :(

#118816  by BlackDog

emd_SD_60 wrote:I am also beginning to see wide-cab CN SD40-2W's on the point of trains, the recent being this morning, 5324 leading WC 6591. I'm sure those (CN) units are better maintained than some of the "I desperately need an overhaul because my railroad never took care of me" IC SD40A's.
(
Just 'cuz they are CN doesn't mean that they have been taken care of, they are just as loud and ride just as rough as those IC SD40's. The last few I've had actually vented the automatic brake exhaust in the cab, I haven't heard a roar like that since I worked with 6ET. One thing those CN units do have a leg up on over IC or WC units is the micro wave and refridgerator.

That being said, IMHO,I think that the WC SD45's, even with the CN's current "run them till they die" maintenance program ride better than anything else we have, including SD75's and the new C44's.