Railroad Forums 

• CN orders 50 ES44DC's from GE, 25 SD70M-2's from EMD

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#116163  by emd_SD_60

CN_Hogger wrote:
BlackDog wrote: Think these new engines will come with air conditioning? It would be nice to have up here when winter ends in June.
I hope so, the IC 2700's came with A/C....
The SD70's and SD40's are beginning to get retrofitted with A/C, in the fashion of ATSF A/C boxes on the cab roofs... :P

#116649  by BlackDog

I've seen the SD40's with the winnebago air conditioning, they seem to spend the winter up here. However, when the snow finally melts and it warms up (usually around July), the smart money is on never seeing them up here again, least till November. I know, I know, Illinois gets a lot warmer and more humid for a longer period of time, being closer to the equator and all, and I'm sure that those on the southern end of things do appreciate working ac. (working being the key word, this is the CN after all). But there are times up here closer to the arctic circle that ac would be nice. It's a matter of need I gues, they need them down south more and more often than we need them up north.

#116746  by CN_Hogger

I couldn't imagine not having A/C in Louisiana in August. If I remember correctly, I think there's a sidebar agreement attached to the BLET agreement saying that all new loco's need to be equipped with A/C and older ones must be retrofitted eventually.
 #119873  by jg greenwood

I've done my share of pi$$ing and moaning about the IC SD-70's. This week I had the occasion to operate what I consider one of their better SD-70s'. Left E. St. Louis on the 21 st. with: 13x61-3421-4770 and one lone SD-70. The climb out of E. St. Louis is no Saluda by any stretch. It's a pretty decent climb of three miles with several curves though. This little jewel walked right up the hill @ 18-mph. Even more impressive, we picked up 28-cars at Coulterville, IL. Total into Duquoin: 13x89-6225-6170. No problem maintaining track speed.
 #119945  by emd_SD_60

jg greenwood wrote:I've done my share of pi$$ing and moaning about the IC SD-70's. This week I had the occasion to operate what I consider one of their better SD-70s'. Left E. St. Louis on the 21 st. with: 13x61-3421-4770 and one lone SD-70. The climb out of E. St. Louis is no Saluda by any stretch. It's a pretty decent climb of three miles with several curves though. This little jewel walked right up the hill @ 18-mph. Even more impressive, we picked up 28-cars at Coulterville, IL. Total into Duquoin: 13x89-6225-6170. No problem maintaining track speed.
Which # was it? Yesterday on the way to work I saw the 1000 leading the 6119, down by the SIU campus leading a southbound grain train, apparently it had to drop off some cars at Carbondale, which had most of the crossings in town blocked, forcing me to take a detour south of town to the Pleasant Hill Road overpass and see the motive power! As it was taking off again, man was the 1000 putting out some smoke (and the 710 was sounding like it was giving its all too, wich meant it had to be in 6 or 8)! :-D
 #119954  by jg greenwood

emd_SD_60 wrote:
jg greenwood wrote:I've done my share of pi$$ing and moaning about the IC SD-70's. This week I had the occasion to operate what I consider one of their better SD-70s'. Left E. St. Louis on the 21 st. with: 13x61-3421-4770 and one lone SD-70. The climb out of E. St. Louis is no Saluda by any stretch. It's a pretty decent climb of three miles with several curves though. This little jewel walked right up the hill @ 18-mph. Even more impressive, we picked up 28-cars at Coulterville, IL. Total into Duquoin: 13x89-6225-6170. No problem maintaining track speed.
Which # was it? Yesterday on the way to work I saw the 1000 leading the 6119, down by the SIU campus leading a southbound grain train, apparently it had to drop off some cars at Carbondale, which had most of the crossings in town blocked, forcing me to take a detour south of town to the Pleasant Hill Road overpass and see the motive power! As it was taking off again, man was the 1000 putting out some smoke (and the 710 was sounding like it was giving its all too, wich meant it had to be in 6 or 8)! :-D
It was the 1014 Chris.
 #120016  by jg greenwood

emd_SD_60 wrote:Was this your train?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=102928
Yes. I caught the local Tuesday thru Friday. The 1014 was long hood forward everyday out of E. St. Louis. No concern from the powers that be though. So what if you're restricted to 20-mph over all road crossings?! More good news!! Word is, effective 1-July, the UP coal trains to Paducah are history. I can't fault the UP in the least for this decision. When it requires 2-3 crews to return the empties from Paducah to E. St. Louis, it's time to pull the pin on such a poorly managed railroad!

#120121  by AmtrakFan

Mr. Greenwood,
Do you ever have GTW Power on your Trains? I saw one today on the CP transfer with IC 3140 GP50 AKA GP38-2.

#120127  by emd_SD_60

AmtrakFan wrote:Mr. Greenwood,
Do you ever have GTW Power on your Trains? I saw one today on the CP transfer with IC 3140 GP50 AKA GP38-2.
I believe it was derated to a GP40-2. :wink: Also speaking of GP40's, I saw the lone one with DB, 3129 last week. Those Geeps are getting real extinct, used to see them all the time.

#120132  by CN9634

Heh funny you say that, I live in a state with 2+ railroads that roster a lot of Geeps. Just this morning I caught 4 GP40s and a GP15 taking 394 into Lewiston Junct. Also I caust some of those ex-CN, GP40-2ws that Guilford has. The only SD Ive seen this year is IC 6002 which is still on SLR property.
 #121147  by emd_SD_60

jg greenwood wrote:
emd_SD_60 wrote:Was this your train?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=102928
Yes. I caught the local Tuesday thru Friday. The 1014 was long hood forward everyday out of E. St. Louis. No concern from the powers that be though. So what if you're restricted to 20-mph over all road crossings?! More good news!! Word is, effective 1-July, the UP coal trains to Paducah are history. I can't fault the UP in the least for this decision. When it requires 2-3 crews to return the empties from Paducah to E. St. Louis, it's time to pull the pin on such a poorly managed railroad!
Yes from what I heard the UP coal trains to Paducah are going to come down the Chester Sub, then at Gorham head north to Benton via the Mt. Vernon Sub, then head south on the Marion Sub, continue south onto the BNSF Beardstown Sub, and finally onto the Bluford Sub to finish the journey to Paducah. Northbounds are to come back up the Marion Sub, continue north to Mt. Vernon and head west on the Pinckneyville Sub to Chester, and back north to E.St. Louis, to head back west on the Jefferson City Sub.
 #125864  by emd_SD_60

Hey JG,
I was doing some transferring my videos to DVD last night, and while watching one of them, I happened to catch the 1014 last December coming into Carbondale, trailing the WC 6602...

#210570  by Stephen B. Carey

Question, Why is the CN ES44's have bigger windows? I assume its for better visiablitiy but why would CN need it and other roads would'nt. Also are there any big differences between the CN models and the other models?