Railroad Forums 

• New CN line to Labrador iron ore region?

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#1077281  by train2

I have not been keeping close tabs on the recent news of a feasibility study of a new line by CN in the Iron Ore region of Labrador.

This article is about all I have been able to find:

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/article ... -iron-belt

Question, is this intended to be a line linking the Labrador Trough to the rest of CN or is just another line to link the iron ore region with the St Lawrence shore as the current lines by QNSL and Cartier (now AM) do now?

I take it since the two existing lines are really line haul route for the companies that own them, CN is thinking of building a common carrier line to serve companies yet to build in the region?

Does any of the iron ore go anywhere except to sea from this region anyway?

(Was there not suppose to be a line also built by G&W (shortline) in this region as well?)

T2