Railroad Forums 

• Baldwin 60000

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#1001351  by jdamelio

Would like to find information on the move from Eddystone to the Franklin Institute.
 #1001452  by hankadam

Baldwin 60000 was an "experimental" locomotive, three-cylinder and completely reviewed in a nine page article in BALDWIN LOCOMOTIVES, April 1927. The move to the new Franklin Institute, on the Parkway, is detailed in a two page article dated January 1934. The move required temporary tracks as the nearest railroad line was about four city blocks from the Museum. A portion of one of the Museum walls was left open so that this "modern" giant could be moved into the building. There is more to the story:
The Renewal Parts Business was kicked out of Eddystone in September 1971 and after settling in new quarters in Wilmington, Delaware we took the name, The Baldwin-Hamilton Company. Locomotive 60000 was powered by a small electric motor so that it moved back and forth, on a short track, inside the Museum, much to the delight of thousands of visitors; it remains one of the most viewed exhibits at the Franklin Institute. All was not well, however, and we received a telephone call from the Museum, 1972 or 1973 complaining that the locomotive was "frozen" and could not move. We were horrified, but having no steam knowledge, said that we were sorry, but could not help. All was not lost and very quickly an "old-timer" pointed out that the piston packing, in the cylinders, had dried out. A few squirts of WD-40 did the trick and 60000 resumed to its regal motion, back and forth. The Franklin Institute told us of the success and we all had a good laugh.
 #1001964  by jdamelio

Thank you Henry. I received for Xmas a photo of the engine on Vine. My father told us that he and our grandfather were on the route somewhere to watch the move. My father joined the FI and we were frequent visitors in the 60s. Rode back and forth many a time. I think I was last at the Institute in the 80s.